BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Lite Contributor

Default supercharger for gy6 in development?

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/si...150cc-scooters

looks like hes running a low pressure supercharger off the flywheel

its obviously still in development but still an interesting idea
Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

I see the future power use here for us buggy inthusiest.20 more horsepower now that's power to say the least. HANG ON!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Supporting Vendor

I don't buy his claims. First how can he claim 20% when he doesn't have a working model and it has never been tested on a dyno. A turbo charger uses free power, exhaust. A supercharger makes power mechanically meaning it needs the actual engine to drive it, which will use up HP to drive it. At the low pressures he is talking about I see no advantage. He also claims that boring the case to install a 63mm big bore kit will increase HP by 20%. A stock cylinder naturally aspirated only fills to about 60%. How is an engine with a 63mm bore going to fill beyond the stock cylinder, when a stock cylinder only fill to 60%. To increase the volume of mixed gasses in the cylinder one must allow for more air to enter the cylinder which will be accomplished with the head, cam and carburation. As I have explained to many your dad has a 1969 Nova with a 350 that produced about 200 HP but you have a 1969 Nova 350SS that produces 400 HP. Where did that 200 HP come from? Same bore, same stroke. Answer heads, cam and carburation. Now also to his claim of 15-20% HP increase with his sidewinder. Most of these GY6 motors are rated anywhere from 12-18HP but this is not chassis HP just engine HP. When you figure in the drive train plus weight of the buggy you are only about 5HP. 20% of 5HP is 1HP. But again if the engine puts out 5 HP you have to ask how much HP will be used by driving the Pulley, belt and super charger. It is known that a 8 pole stator will cost almost 1/2 more HP as compared to the 4 pole stator due to larger mass, weight and additional drag from moving across 4 more magnets. Now maybe this guy has some unique design but I have strong doubts since if it was possible I would think someone would have come up with this already when you consider all the racing teams out there in motocross and atv performance racing looking for more power. I never say never but I will say don't get your hopes up. Some years back a Chinese factory was selling an electric super charger for their 250cc buggy. I almost bought one for 300.00 until I spoke with someone who knows superchargers. I was told it would be a waist of money since there was no way it would work as claimed. There was one member on the other forum some years ago and I believe he had posted on this forum as well. He come up with a turbo for the 150 but all we ever heard were claims of how much more power it give his engine. He was suppose to get some dyno results for he had access to a dyno but never heard anything of such. He later had it for sale but don't even know if he had sold it for I never seen another post by him. People will claim anything but the people I have talked to (experts in the field ) say it is not practical for our application.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yup you make a lot of sence sycarms. I'm no mechanic so I fell for this quickly. Its true. If this was so good why don't they use it on atv. Motorcross bikes. Etc.I'll have to agree. Oh well that's ok. I'm happy with my trail riding buggy.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Power User

i'm more inclined to think that the only way to supercharge small engine like these is via a separate second engine driven unit, as in using a leaf blower. Yes, i still have that idea kicking around .... along with two massive leaf piles to move out to the curb .... vvvvvhhhwwhheeeeeeeeee ..... .
Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
I don't buy his claims. First how can he claim 20% when he doesn't have a working model and it has never been tested on a dyno. A turbo charger uses free power, exhaust. A supercharger makes power mechanically meaning it needs the actual engine to drive it, which will use up HP to drive it. At the low pressures he is talking about I see no advantage. He also claims that boring the case to install a 63mm big bore kit will increase HP by 20%. A stock cylinder naturally aspirated only fills to about 60%. How is an engine with a 63mm bore going to fill beyond the stock cylinder, when a stock cylinder only fill to 60%. To increase the volume of mixed gasses in the cylinder one must allow for more air to enter the cylinder which will be accomplished with the head, cam and carburation. As I have explained to many your dad has a 1969 Nova with a 350 that produced about 200 HP but you have a 1969 Nova 350SS that produces 400 HP. Where did that 200 HP come from? Same bore, same stroke. Answer heads, cam and carburation. Now also to his claim of 15-20% HP increase with his sidewinder. Most of these GY6 motors are rated anywhere from 12-18HP but this is not chassis HP just engine HP. When you figure in the drive train plus weight of the buggy you are only about 5HP. 20% of 5HP is 1HP. But again if the engine puts out 5 HP you have to ask how much HP will be used by driving the Pulley, belt and super charger. It is known that a 8 pole stator will cost almost 1/2 more HP as compared to the 4 pole stator due to larger mass, weight and additional drag from moving across 4 more magnets. Now maybe this guy has some unique design but I have strong doubts since if it was possible I would think someone would have come up with this already when you consider all the racing teams out there in motocross and atv performance racing looking for more power. I never say never but I will say don't get your hopes up. Some years back a Chinese factory was selling an electric super charger for their 250cc buggy. I almost bought one for 300.00 until I spoke with someone who knows superchargers. I was told it would be a waist of money since there was no way it would work as claimed. There was one member on the other forum some years ago and I believe he had posted on this forum as well. He come up with a turbo for the 150 but all we ever heard were claims of how much more power it give his engine. He was suppose to get some dyno results for he had access to a dyno but never heard anything of such. He later had it for sale but don't even know if he had sold it for I never seen another post by him. People will claim anything but the people I have talked to (experts in the field ) say it is not practical for our application.

holy brick of text batman!

throw in a return every once in a while lol

im just throwing this out there for people to see

im also skeptical but who knows it might work

orrrrr it could be a huge failure

but someones doing it
Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Supporting Vendor

That is why I never say never. But the people I talk to who know super chargers say they don't work and are not practical for these small engines. I think if I were to try anything it would be a turbo charger. And yes I know I should put some breaks in by posts but once I get to typing I have to keep my thoughts and having to hit another key just may be the breaking point.LOL