BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Heavy Contributor

Question auto choke question.

Spent three hours blasting around today to test out the new carb/ exhaust setup.
still a little boggy when you first take off if you go WOT, but definitely faster. Does cold weather make the auto-choke spazzy? 21 degrees and after a while when stopped it seemed like the choke was coming on. Motor would rev for a while then settle down, then revvvvvvv, then back to idle.
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 11-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Heavy Contributor

Do a wot test and look at ur plug. It can tell you a lot. May have to adjust air/fuel screw or valves.... maybe.... check ur plug.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Heavy Contributor

I'm not too worried about the slight bogging when I go WOT from a dead stop, it runs like a beast after that, with the 4 valve head and BBK going on soon it should be able to blast off. The choke is what worries me. Is it the cold thats screwing with it? it revs so high that i can't shift it into forward or reverse. What tells the choke its time to turn off? is it the choke at all? I ran it around for three hours no problem, now it seems like it doesn't want to return to idle..
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 11-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

Disconnect ur choke from carb and connect both wires to possitve and negative on ur battery. And see if after 3to 4 minutes it opens and closes. If it does ur choke is good.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Heavy Contributor

OK, I'll try that, I turned the idle screw probably five full turns just to get it somewhere near a normal idle speed. sounds like it's kind of running lean, popping and stuff. I know that how its jetted right now it should be rich as hell.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 11-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

If its popping before anything technical check for leaks around ur carb with carb cleaner and engine running. Sprey around the intake area not the filter and around manifold. And se it idle changes notes. If it does you have a leak. Seal it that will cause popping and lean.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

Doesn't look like any leaks.. Should the choke be warm? I pulled the plastic cap off of it to make sure the wires weren't mashed or anything and it was warm verging on hot. is that normal?

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 11-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

Choke feeling warm verging on hot not sure. Will wait for someone to chime in on that question. I believe that popping sounds are caused by two reasons. Intake leak or exhaue leak depanding where the popping is coming from. The exhause or intake. Will wait for someone to chine in and help us with this.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Contributor

When you say "Doesn't look like any leaks", does that mean you sprayed carb cleaner or ether around the intake? What you are describing sounds like an air leak to me. Bogging when opening the throttle quickly, eratic idle, and popping are all the symptoms.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Heavy Contributor

OK, not a big deal motor coming out soon for BBK and new head. I know zero about what makes the auto-choke do it's thing. The carb is brand new, but maybe I'll get a replacement choke to be sure. seasons over for the most part, just figured i'd ask.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 11-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Heavy Contributor

I agree 351, spraying carb cleaner around the seals on carb, manifold, intake didn't seem to change anything but I'll try to re-seat and tighten down again and see if that helps. I was assuming the initial bogging was the pumper dumping fuel the motor couldn't handle standing still to WOT. I realize the 30mm pumper is probably too much carb right now, but if I go light till it just starts rolling THEN nail it, it SPINS the rears and takes off like a mad man. On a fairly straight stretch where I'd get to about 28-30MPH, she was at 35 and still pulling.. FYI 35 pilot 135 main @ sea level with 110 Octane leaded racing fuel.

2014 Kandi 90B

Last edited by wildbob; 11-25-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Lurker

The bog from standing still to WOT sounds like that's comming from the wrong pilot jet, if you have spare pilots try swapping them out
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Heavy Contributor

#35 pilot is the smallest i have

2014 Kandi 90B