BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Lite Contributor

Default My turbo 150cc coolster

I decided to turbo my coolster, so the first obstacle is to find a way to supply oil pressure to the turbo CHRA , does any one know if the gy6 uses a high pressure oil pump inside and if it does where can i tap into the case to draw a source of oil? if not then option two is a stand alone oil system with reservoir and dedicated electric pump, so in that case does any one know of a inexpensive pump that can pump oil at a psi of at least 20 psi? the tilton and other scavage pumps i looked at are as much money as the turbo it self was lol.

Last edited by JustinSane; 09-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Lite Contributor

it seems the GY6 does indeed have a oil pump, and they offer a aftermarket oil cooler kit for it, meaning there must be a way to tap into the case to draw this oil out and back in, i am having trouble locating specifics on how to do this, if any one can shed some light or give me a number of some one to call about it that would be great.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Administrator

You need to look up one of the guys that has a Carbide. They use an external oil cooler. If I still had mine I could hook you up. Better yet, if you have a tractor supply near by, stop by and look at a carbide with your own eyes. I may have a tank here you could use if need. It's an aluminum one off of a Polaris four wheeler.

This is going to be great. Can't wait to see this thing.

Where are you going to source the turbo itself? At a go kart show last year, briggs was there and had an Animal engine with a turbo. They had that little 5 hp flathead pushiing 30 hp! I think they said the turbo unit came off of an early 70's gm 4cyl of some kind. Don't remember the details.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Lite Contributor

i got the turbo from a micro car made by suzuki in the UK its very small and once it arrives i will post pics of it. i just talked to a guy who told me a possible place on the block to drill into and tap to source oil pressure directly from the pump, i will probably then just modify the oil fill bung as the turbos drain return. i still have a few issues to cover , the next one i think will require input from some one who has turboed a 250 cc with one of those kits, what i need to know is do i still hook the carbs vacuum line to the intake ? or now that the intake will see boost do i have to hook it else where.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Administrator

I can't remember how mine was setup but if it is like all the others, doesn't that just allow your petcock to operate?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
I can't remember how mine was setup but if it is like all the others, doesn't that just allow your petcock to operate?
The vacuum line seems to be related the the slide and it's ability to go up and down.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Ohhhh..ya you're right. I think you'd have to go back with the type of carb that Mike sold you.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Lite Contributor

well correct me if im wrong but they do sell a turbo kit for the 250 cc which uses the same carb as my stock one just 30mm , the second carb mike sold me is a 30mm 250 cc cv carb just like my stock one just larger, so how do they hook up to the 250 cc turbo kit?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Who sells the turbo kit?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Lite Contributor

i found it on google, i dont know who is the original creator, if i did i would contact them and ask these questions, so far the places i have called that sell the kit dont know squat about it. my closest lead is a guy called WEST COAST on buggy news, im waiting for him to reply to me in PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Administrator

I think I would get on ebay and go find a decent mikuni carb. I just don't think the cv type carbs will work for that kind of app. Could be wrong though. I can't wait to see how this comes out. I wish you lived around here. That would be a great project and an excellent machine to put on my track to see just how heavy of an improvement it gets.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Lite Contributor

here is the turbo i got
Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Lite Contributor

Dang where can I get one!!!!
1500 Main Spring
136 Main Jet
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
Dr. Pulley Variator
Dr. Pulley 10-13 Slider Weights
Four 55w Off Road Lights
One 55w Reverse Light
Old 09-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Lite Contributor

carb problem solved so now im just waiting on the rest of my parts to show up and im ready to fab up the turbo kit. by this time next week it should be running.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Soooo...what did you do for the carb?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
Soooo...what did you do for the carb?
Yes - inquiring minds want to know!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Lite Contributor

well you inquiring minds will have to wait im not posting the BUGGY ahead of the horse!! im still waiting on parts to arrive i hope to start fabbing this week.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Administrator

can't wait. Someone's gotta lead the pack. If yours is a success, our's is sure to follow. You could always do what vator did to his:

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175

That's really what I want to do. Maybe not to his extreme but a 400 or so.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Lite Contributor

i have a 250 cc bike i dont ride any more , i often toyed with swapping its motor to a go cart or buggy for a shifter cart , but i kinda like the idea of seeing how far i can push the 150 first. if the turbo idea dont pan out as enough for the buggy i also have 2 mini ninja pocket bikes that i can put the turbo on
Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Lite Contributor

installed my cam today, the buggy liked it the mid range is much snappier and in gained 3 mph on top end. its breaking up a little now in the mid range so i suspect the cam has changed what pilot jet it needs, but i wont worry about that just now due to the turbo is going to change it yet again. top speed is currently 39 mph , i was at 38 before i ported the head so i suspect i would probably be over 40 had i not ported the head. does any one have a stock head they wanna send me for testing of this theory? any way turbo parts are coming tomorrow so i should be started on it by this time tomorrow afternoon.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Administrator

A 150cc head is actually pretty cheap. I don't have one here but any GY6 vendor should have one. I agree your AFR sounds off in that mid range. What cam did you go with?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Lite Contributor

i got the a10 cam , im not gonna buy another head since im just going to be turboing this one any way and teh turbo will fix the velocity issue i just figured i would test both if any one has one from a blown engine or from when they did a 4 valve swap ect.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Lite Contributor

look what arrived today

Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator

oohhhhhh...ahhhhhhh..

Now get that thing running!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Lite Contributor

small up date video , we spent day one fabricating all the flanges that dont come with the turbo, and mocking up the oil system and carb mounting method. today we plan on doing the exhaust and then final assembly , if all goes well it should be running and ready to start tuning tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7ostAxPzA
Old 09-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributor

Where's the blue flames you told me about?!

Looks damn nice! Are you sure there's not enough room for the 30mm CVK carb on there?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Lite Contributor

the float bowl touches the frame now, im going to shorten the carb adapter to make more room, perhaps then the 30mm will fit, but the stock carb starts and idles much better so as long as it works ok ill stay with it, i might try the 30 mm to compare at some point. the flames was when we revved it higher off camera to check for oil pressure above idle, we hit 30 psi of pressure under load
Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Supporting Vendor

Default Turbo mod.

Looking good, can't wait to see the end result. Was the bolt in the cylinder for the oil port or did you have to drill and tap. TOM
Old 09-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Lite Contributor

had to drill and tap it .
here is another update from today. tomorrow i start tuning it.
i hit 6 psi on a small test drive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=depu6BNjaTc
Old 09-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Administrator

that's killer. I need pics of the plumbing.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Lite Contributor

haha i have another small vid from before my camera died im uploading now, ill post it, you can see some of it better. ill post a link in a minute.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Never mind, just saw the other vid.

I've been under the impression that the boost is supposed to be sent through the front of the carb and then the pipe runs from the back of the carb to the head.

Looks like you have it behind the carb thus just increasing the draw through the carb. Seems like you wouldn't get the proper atomization of the fuel in the current setup.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Here's a generic diagram (this one use an intercooler):

Old 09-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Lite Contributor

here is the last video .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXuSvSZiUq0
its a draw threw set up, not a blow threw,, both have pros and cons and the draw threw is way easier and ideal for a buggy like this, you dont need a special modded carb, you dont need a electric fuel pump a draw threw dont require a intercooler or blow off valve ect ect, as for fuel atomization im not sure its affected any, i took it for a small test drive and it ran fine, i hit 6 psi, im gonna see if i cant get it up to 10 psi or so tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Cool. I didn't even know they had such a thing as a draw through. Do you have a wideband bung in there somewhere?

On your test run, how does it feel?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Lite Contributor

no wide band, it felt fine, i didnt run it WOT for long periods due to it being lean, it only has a 135 jet in it, i have a bunch more coming tomorrow, up to 160 i think. truthfully even if the little 150 never makes as much power as a 250 or 300 i dnt care , its kinda cool having the only 150 cc turbo buggy known to man, i searched every where and seems that i am the first and only one.

Last edited by JustinSane; 09-24-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Administrator

You are definately a trend setter. Very cool to see it done.

Powerwise, could you feel a difference?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Lite Contributor

felt pretty snappy , but def need more boost 5 psi is not much more air flow then NA on this tiny turbo, i suspect 8 or so psi will be where it starts to wake up big time.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Administrator

allright....I suspect that thing is running well by now. Soo...how is it?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Lite Contributor

didnt get to tune on it today, the previous owner had the spark plug threads half crossed and today when i took the plug out to close the gap a little the threads came out all the way, so the head is off and tomorrow im getting a helicoil kit for it, i will use this chance to upgrade the plug from the small m10 1.00 thread to a larger and more popular m12 1.25 threads.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

well that kinda sucks. Sounds like a good opportunity to do some more porting.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Lite Contributor

head is fixed, no more porting needed i did it right the first time around.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Lite Contributor

small update
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhPggSuJlmM

the turbo pulls so much threw the carb that the jetting actually has to be small to run the best, i only had a little time to tinker today and i ended up with the stock pilot and 105 main that came with the buggy, it runs very well, i am going to throw more boost at it this week and see if i cant get close to 50 mph from it
Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Administrator

damn good job man. Looks great. So how does it feel? Is it a night and day difference on it? What did you go with for the exhaust? Open header set up?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Lite Contributor

its faster , not sure how fast yet i didnt have a chance to gps it . the exhaust is a open dump tube, the turbo acts like a muffler. i need to get more boost to really see a huge gain, currently im only getting 5-6 psi and on this turbo and 5-6 psi isnt really a whole lot of CFM. my goal is to get closer to 8 psi from it and that should really wake it up. i will work on that next week. i dont see a problem getting it to around 45 mph, which is really good for this coolster since it was already 10 mph slower then most 150 cc buggys when i bought it. its probably one of the heaviest single seater 150 cc frames out there. even if it dont set any new speed records its still unique and probably the first and only working 150 cc turbo buggy out there and that alone was pretty much why i wanted to do it.

Last edited by JustinSane; 09-25-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Lite Contributor

tomorrow i should get time to go finish tuning the turbo coolster, i will post video when its done.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Lite Contributor

very cool
Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Lite Contributor

i havnt forgot to update here the fact of the matter is i have not had time to do anything with the buggy, and the few time si did have a little time it was raining. i will put a decent effort into getting video of it and GPS it this weekend. i want to experiment with different octane fuels, cdi boxes and carbs to see what combo works best with boost, as a rule of thumb boost likes high octane and less timing , however thats on higher PSI and HP set ups, i think on such a small engine and turbo that i might find this is not the case.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Seems to be someone makes an aftermarket CDI that allows you to dial in timing with a knob on it.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Lite Contributor

yeah but with out a dyno i would be spending days on that, for now i will test between stock and advanced timing maps. MPH dont tell the whole story it would be best to see a dyno graph after each change.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Administrator

so is it done yet? We need vid.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:33 PM

i wanna see wats goin on too
-gutted exaust
-extended lugs
-headlights
-reflectors
-my stickers
-adjusted suspension
-ground out hubs
(to fit on the tires)

helix 150
Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Lite Contributor

i am working on my civic in all my spare time right now, the buggy is running sweet, i rode it the other day and it was flawless, i havnt had a chance to gps or vid anything yet since teh last vid i posted.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Lite Contributor

sorry guys i sold the buggy but i did keep the turbo set up, the guy who bought it didnt want it so fast for his kids so i sold it with out the kit. the turbo kit is for sale for the right price and i can be reached at lavoy1@gmail.com

Last edited by JustinSane; 02-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.