BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Lurker

Default Helix 150 won't start

Need some help, My son and I were riding back in Oct, and were having a great time riding the Helix 150, we had been riding for all day, so stopped we got out of the Helix to stretch our legs for a couple of minutes. Left it running, when we were getting ready to get going again the Helix shut off. And would not start back. It will crank until the battery goes dead, I have checked the spark plug and it has no spark, I changed plugs and it still has no spark,, could it be the coil, Could it be the starter, or CDI,,maybe the kill switch, its getting gas because the plug is wet when I remove it, plus I sprayed starting fluid into the carb. I'm just about come to the end of the road, should I just order those parts from above and start from there? Need some help on this one guys. Conn in Ky
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Could be any of the things you mentioned actually. If you look in the tech section you should find some manuals that may have the specifications for the individual components. Essentially, you check the wiring itself first just to make sure something didn't come un plugged. Then you test the coil with an ohm meter. The CDI boxes on these are DC based so a bad stator won't keep you from running necessarrily. I personally have not yet seen a coil go bad on it's own on one of these but I have seen a couple of CDI boxes just crap out. You have to narrow it down. SYC Powersports may chime in with what your individual parts should ohm out to.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

This is where I'd start-Since you say you have no spark I'd be looking to verify that the coil wires are connected to the coil and not loose.Continue checking the kill switch wires as well to eliminate it-if one wire on the kill switch were touching the frame you'd have no spark.It's not the starter! it wouldn't turn over if it was.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Actually, you just reminded me of a good point. Believe it or not I have seen several of these where the coil wires were in fact loose and simply slipped off! Check there first.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Lurker

Ok, I hooked a volt meter to the CDI, the volts coming to the CDI Power is 12.56v,,,the power going to the ignition coil and the trigger feed from the CDI is right around 6.5v, should this be about right? unhooking the coil and hooking a volt meter to the coil wires shows 0.3 volts Volts to the starter is right around 12.5v, once the front kill switch is engaged the starter drops to 0.00, so the starter is getting power and is cranking and working correctly. Does the CDI send power to the coil wires that connect to the coil, if so then from 6.5 volts down to 0.3, something is wrong,,, What next guys?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Lurker

Needing some help?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Supporting Vendor

Go to the American Sportworks web site and they have manuals which will give you the values and how to for the electrical system. You will need a volt ohm meter. The voltage does not always tell you of a problem. Most checks will be resistance.

Tom
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Actually, we have the manuals on our site at the following link:

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157
Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Supporting Vendor

I knew that Rick, I really did.

Tom
Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Lurker

this happend to my helix but the coil had just crapped out, i bought a velocita coil and it is sweet like 30 bux. and if its not your coil, at least you have a performance coil
Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Lurker

I Replaced the CDI and the Coil and it fired up, thanks guys for all the help,,,,,,Now how can I make it go faster?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Supporting Vendor

What is your budget? Most start by opening up the exhaust or going with a performance exhaust, replace the air box with a UNI filter and a rejet of the carb, you also have available cam's, big bore kits, also a good port and polish of the head will work wonders.

Tom
Old 02-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Lurker

get a performance coil and an iridium plug, uni filter and a 130 jet, woke my helix up big time gps clocked with two men in it going 36 on the trail