BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Lurker

Default Filling Transmission Fluid 7150

Ok,
Newbie here. I just got my ASW 7150 back from my friend, who cleaned the carb for me after this thing sat up all winter. Anyway, I go to change the oil, which I'd done once before and accidentally drained the transmission fluid.
How do I re-fill this!? After you get done laughing, any help would be great. I'd be glad to tell you why the thing sat up all winter (and most of 2 years) and explain my screen name.....haha
Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Lurker

OK.....I think I found the pic on ASW's site as to "where to fill"......however I will take any advice you guys may lend.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Lite Contributor

I want to hear the story...

I don't have a carbide, but are you sure what you drained was transmission fluid and not gear oil? you might double check what you're supposed to refill it with. My buggies all call for gear oil in their transmissions.

you'll know if its gear oil because it'll STINK and stick to everything!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Lurker

Yea, 54, I'm pretty sure after some more digging it's gear oil (80-90w).
Well, to the story of how this thing broke my arm.....
I "cut" this track behind my in-laws house a couple of years ago when we got the buggy. It was an awesome track, too. It sat on a gradual slope and was about 1/4 mile all the way around, a simple oval with really wide, sweeping turns. The "up hill" section had a couple of little dips and rises, no real "jumps" but it'd bounce you around a bit. The "down hill" side was flat and fast. Well, right before you'd have to yank the wheel (and drift) through "turns 3 and 4" there was a little dip that, if you lifted and gave a little brake it would set the buggy up perfectly to get it sideways so you could drift (we call it "dirt tracking" haha) through those turns. Of course, I pushed the buggy for all it was worth through those turns, more and more each time. I was ALWAYS careful to put my seatbelt on and wear my helmet (full face with polycarb face shield). This day, of course, I didn't. I was just gonna warm the buggy up a bit, because we had a bunch of friends over for lunch and we were gonna ride the kids around. I did (Praise God) buckle my son (5 at the time) in good and get his helmet on just right. Anyway, I take off for a few laps and me and my son are getting faster and faster and I decide to see if I can handle that last turn without giving 'er much brake..........BIG mistake......the buggy didn't like that too much. I come off of that little dip going about 35 and try to yank it right and I got just enough weight on the Left front to make it REALLY yank it right and we flipped over....kinda almost a somersault over that L front. Of course, I go flying out, the cart rolls over me and my son rides it out, to the tune of about a roll and a half and lands upside down. Adrenaline's pumping at this time so I jump up thinking I'm good and run over to unbuckle my barely crying son, who by the way barely missed riding the thing out all the way into the swamp that sits right beside the track (scared me even more he wasn't screaming....). Well I reach down with my left arm to unbuckle him and my shoulder is the only thing that really moves. My humerus was fractured right in the middle. Then my L eye fills up with blood, just in time to see my wife and mother in law unbuckle my kid. I had an "avulsion" injury to my head, right at my hairline.....where basically the skin gets "peeled back" like a flap. Of course we called 911 and "slick" shows up as a first responder.....I'm having to tell him how to splint/sling my arm and wrap my head.....I get an ambulance ride to the hospital, surgery (big plate and screws-I'll post pics later-haha), 13 stitches, 2 weeks off work, 18 months of weakness/pain in the L arm and a busted buggy. I got the buggy JUST ABOUT back to tip top shape.......and then I go and drain the doggone gear oil out of it INSTEAD of the motor oil. HAHA. So that's why I'm here. Hoping you guys learn from my mistake and hoping I can learn from ya'll's expertise.
On a side note, PRAISE GOD my son was unhurt and I work for a large orthopedic group so I was very well taken care of and knew almost everyone that "worked" on me.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Heavy Contributor

There is a fill bolt about mid way up the transmission. use an oil pump can to fill the transmission to the fill bolt opening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Can.jpg (6.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Lurker

thank you!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Lurker

Well....I got all the fluids topped off today and took it for a spin. It's running like it should and is a blast to ride again. Now I just need to check out some of these mod threads....
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

Sorry to hear of your mishap, but as humans we sometimes pay huge for lessons we learn, glad to hear the boy was strapped in. I myseld equipt all my buggies with 5 point harnesses for extra safety, and am in the process of installing arm restraints as well. A bit pricey but much cheaper then the doctor.

TOM
Old 10-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Lurker

you got that right. Let me know how all that works out. I have no idea as to where to start (aside from this site, obviously) when it comes to installing that stuff. I have mentioned it to my wife a few times tho. Sooner or later the boys are going to want to start driving instead of riding with Dad here. Yea, it cost my insurance a pretty penny and, needless to say, it hasn't been cheap getting the buggy going again.

Last edited by CarbideBrokeMyArm; 10-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

Since my buggy had the 4 point harnesses all I had to do was to drill a mounting hole and reinforce it by welding a bushing in it for the 5th point belt which comes up between the legs. On yours however you will have to weld mounting tangs behind center of each seat on frame bar just below head rests. The lap belt, one half will attach on either outer side of the seat, the center mount will acomodate both other halves of the lap belt for each seat. The shoulder harness will attach to an added tab centered behind each seat, then the submarine belt comes up between the legs and will attach to a mount, to a cross bar front center of each seat. The biggest advantage for these belts is that it not only holds you in , it also keeps you down during a rollover keeping your head from hitting the ground which can easily cause a neck compression. When you have the 5 point's installed the arm restraints use the lap belt portion to attach to.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

The positioning of the belts is very important! If you use the V type as Tom descibes, (needs one mounting braket centered behind the seat) or the 5-point,(needs two brackets mounted behind each shoulder) In either case the mounting point should be below the shoulder level. you want the shoulder straps to pull you down in the seat not back!
The lap belt should be positioned across your hip just below the hip bone. Again, pulling you down not back. the 5th strap comes up in front of the crotch, pulling the lap belt slightly forwards not downwards.You should be able to slide your hand between the strap and yourself. Get this one right or you run the risk of loosing the family jewels
Adjust the lap belt first. pull it tight enough so you can't move in the seat. adjust the crotch strap so you can't pull the lap belt up over the hip bones. Tighten the shoulder belts till you can hardly breath and it's about right. A rule of thumb.. if the belts are on the verge of being uncomfortable, they are almost tight enough!
it seems sort of silly to tighten belts this way but during a hard hit ,your body turns to jello and contorts in all sorts of weird ways. Improper postioning or adjustment can snap a collor bone , rupture a spleen, compress the spine or at best leave some really nasty looking bruises.