BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Lurker

Default Bmi used engine

Has anyone bought a used yerfdog engine from BMI karts. It looks like a good deal, but "AS IS" sight unseen is a leap for me. Ebay has new engines for a little more, but no extra goodies.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Heavy Contributor

Yea I got one , haven't fired it up though, looks brand new. These were taken from karts that were originally returned because of chassis issues. Very low if any hours on the motors. fair price for the whole motor and swing arm assembly but shipping kills the deal unless you can have it shipped to a commercial address with loading dock facility's.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Contributor

Even with a commercial shipping address you get screwed! They quoted $200 freight from Ohio to CT. My buddy called his freight company and they quoted $175.
I bought mine off ebay with 59.95 shipping. Came with carb, cdi, and a few other parts. Need to make exhaust and moubt it up but thats another post.

Then all your problems look like nails.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 AM
Heavy Contributor

Lyonsperf is right on the money . It cost $175 to get it to North carolina. BMI quoted $200. But I needed a stock howet motor, swing arm and other assorted pieces. After pricing individualy, the final cost was about the same so I went for it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (90.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Contributor

As a side note, does anyone have the dimensions for the swingarm? I'm building my own but would like to have the yerf dims as a start.

Then all your problems look like nails.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

I also bought 2 of BMI's motors and they both ran like new. Spiderbox swingarm is 24" x 24" the front tapers from the 24" to 19" at the swing point.Don't or haven't figured out why there's a taper,when I made a new swingarm for the wife's Yerfdog I made it 24" square and it seems more stable.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Heavy Contributor

The same swing arm was used on the Spiderbox single and double seaters. Perhaps that was the reason for a narrower mount point.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

You could be right about the reasoning but I don't think the single GX150 didn't come out till late in the Spiderbox era. I know that we wore out 2 swingarms at the connection from sideways travel.The extra 5" in width definitely helps with stability on our's.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Heavy Contributor

The Yerf numbering roughly went something like this:

First two numbers: Generation series
Third number: Vehicle type
Fourth number: Frame color
Fifth number: Enhancement over base

The 3200 series all was released in the same time period.

http://yerf-dog.com/main_gokart.html
Old 11-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Supporting Vendor

The Howlett motor is one of the best GY6 engines made. You will also be getting the electrical, axle, brakes. It is pricy to ship but you may considder making a road trip to Ohio and pick it up, depending where in Southern Illinois your located. You can always sell all the spare parts you will get with it to defray costs. The Howlett has a very well casted case. It will come with the heavy duty starter clutch. Doing machine work on the Howlett case compared to some other cases is perfered by me for the casting is solid and thicker in the right places for instance when boring out the case for a big bore. Most I've seen come with 4 pole stators so if you will be running any kind of lighting above the stock lighting I would upgrade to a 10 pole stator. If you decide to run high compression or big bore the heave starter clutch is a blessing. ckau is correct in saying these were taken from buggies returned to Sams Club with broken frames or suspension, so the engine will have very low to no hours on it.

TOM