BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Power User

Default engine ID?

Can anyone tell what version engine this is? And what is missing (if anything) from it. Issues???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200679081459...84.m1423.l2649

I have a shot at a complete hammerhead that doesn't have an engine or transmission. if this is match, i can pull together a pretty good deal.
Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Heavy Contributor

it's a 50cc "weed eater" engine for the smallest child's Hammerhead buggy.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Power User

Is it a match to this kart do you know? I was curious about the e-bay one as it appears the fuel tank is mounted with it and this has an overhead. I'm picking up this rolling chassis tonight, already a done deal. Suggestions for an engine/trans combo? This is for my daughter who'll be 7. if the one on e-bay would run 15-20 mph on the flat's, that would be fine, but it's pricey.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/2759936634.html
Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

These are pretty small buggies, is your daughter on the small size? I worked on one couple a years ago with a 5 year old driving it. The E-bay ad has it pictured with the drive sprocket/chain and then without? I only see the airfilter missing. They do about 25 mph max. You might have some small modifying to do, but it should fit.
I wouldn't say that's pricey- as the engine is 50% of the cost on any buggy/kart- $450+/- would be a hell of a deal!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Heavy Contributor

That frame looks like the Mini Shark. I do not know if the parts will mix and match. The little 50cc will not pull any hills and will be lucky to make it up a trailer ramp on its own, so you might be disappointed. That swing arm setup is 2009 or older and drives only one rear wheel. They went to industrial 5.5hp the following year.

http://hammerheadoffroad.com/product...e=Mini%20Shark
Old 12-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Power User

^^posted while i was in the same place^^ lol

Well, it's a mini shark, which looks perfect for where she's at now, they list the seat-to-pedals as 25 to 30" and i set her up at 30" in mine and had to move the seat forward a couple notches. According to the local hammerhead rep, the e-bay auction engine is most likely someone's creation. Got a 3hp horiz. shaft engine close to me for $20, time to find a torque convertor or maybe just run a good ol centrifugal and keep it simple. that explains the engine. For $250 i'd rather take a couple of my dead weedhackers and leaf blowers and make one of t hose ... nah, i'll stick with the 4-stroke.

Last edited by x-bird; 12-20-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Power User

mission accomplished. It's on the rough side, has some rust underneath and some on the right side tube, but nothing too worrying. rear shocks are rusted--shot. bolt for the rear tire is snapped fully inside the axle ...whee that'll be a fun one. and it's missing a front and rear tire. 3 hp briggs has good compression and spark, and some nicely congealed gas in the tank. Now for the good part ... the seller of the mini has a basement full of bitsas. has the front and rear suspension from a quad complete with swing arm & axle with sprocket, chain and brake disc & calipet, a-arms, shocks, hubs and brand new tires. it looked like china small atv stuff. $50 for it all and he's bringing it down my way (works 5-10 minutes from me) and saving me two hours of driving. Turns out that he's the nephew of my neighbor whom i bought the yerf from. bizarro world strikes again! Now i've got til feb 1 to finish this thing! time for a new thread. and of course, the atv arm widths (they're also only like 6-8 inches long) match the little thing, so she may start out the gate with some slightly larger tires and suspension on it. oh, and the sprocket is one the wrong side, looks like it was an early one with the buzz-bomb engine.

Last edited by x-bird; 12-20-2011 at 07:56 PM.