BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Lite Contributor

Default front shocks

what kind of shocks are being used on the front end of the 3206 with even a-arms with heims joint ends. also any special length? and where to get them.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

The stock shocks are 9.5" and basically just a spring. So just about any shock is an improvement!!! Having the shocks before the Heim modification is a must to know at what angle to set the Heims in the A-arm.
One example: I'm running a Carrera QA1, 7" travel with a 10" 100lbs. coilover springs (un-compressed=17-20"", compressed= 13-1/2").These end up about $220.+/- each.(with hardware) and are performing well. This height of shock & 21" front tires makes for 13-1/2" ground clearance. In the past I ran a 12" standard coilover hydraulic shock (Surplus Supply) that didn't last very long before losing their height. Before that was a 12" ATV shock that was too stiff.
I can't afford the Works or Fox brand yet as they seem to be the best choice.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Lite Contributor

metalstudman1 how do you find the angle that the heims need to be welded in? i do not have my old set up as i have went to even a-arm from uneven
also what length of shock can be used with stock mounts? and what do you think abount the bd frontend package?

Last edited by beerbear; 08-18-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

12"-13" shocks fit pretty nice in the stock mounts. There may be another way to find the angle for the Heims- but I assemble all the parts(new longer shocks) and let the weight of the buggy set on the longer shocks, mark/find the angle position for the Heim when it's horizontal,I use a magnetic angle finder(cheap from HF) on the A-arm,but you can use a level too. Disassemble & drill for the bung using the found angle.I found this provides for the most travel both up & down when the suspension is in action.I feel the mis-alignment bushing in the Heim are critical to allow for max travel without binding.
Sorry-I'm not aware of a frontend package offered by BD, I'd have to look it up to see what it includes to make a comment.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 08-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Contributor

Im putting the heims strait in the tub with the heim vertical and using mis-alignment spacers for the turning.All the travel you can get from the set up that way with no binding and no finding the angle.Im getting 35* of steering from the mis-alignment spacers that I have.You may need to check how far your spacers go(*)to see if they will work that way,mine are 3/4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (62.4 KB, 12 views)

FABRICATION ITS HARDER THAN YOU THINK
Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Heavy Contributor

These are the shocks that I've been running on the front of my yerf for the past couple months http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BLASTER2...ht_1204wt_1163

They have been doing very good. I did modify them a little to get them the way I wanted you can check my thread out here... http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2985
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.