BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default post upgrade report

Okay, I took my stock TM 150XRX upgraded the crap out of it over the winter, and finally got to take it on the trails last weekend. Well, the 4V head i think probably gives it the most noticeable boost. That thing pulls like crazy. Top speed has improved but my speedo stopped working (someone might have forgot to tighten the flat nut on the sensor... )but it was still pulling at 39 MPH. I love the traitech vapor, but the engine temp display doesn't always work ( it either gives the temp or says "----") I might have to re-time my valves too. I thought I could hear a little tapping coming from the head when I pulled it up on the trailer, and it looks like it yakked a little oil out the uni head breather filter.. Also, I need to secure my intake, I now see how the old intake connector got torn, but the radiator hose I replaced it with is much stronger. Not having much experience with CVT transmissions, it's tough to tell where the engine mod performance gains end and the Dr. Pulley upgrade gains start, as I did all at once. All in all, I happy so far. Next is SHOCKS!!
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B

Last edited by wildbob; 06-05-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Contributor

Nice. Hoping I can figure out why mine keeps missing/cutting in out at wot. Then if I can find some valve cover bolts im bolting that 4-valve on. Hope you enjoy it, and again thanks!

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Heavy Contributor

Turns out I might have to press left button+Mode button to wake the temp sensor on the trailtech up and it wouldn't register under 150 F or so anyway. I wish I had gone with the Taida heads as they have bigger valves and I haven't heard people complain about them puking oil out the breather, but not big on my list right now.
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 06-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Contributor

Yeah, my trailtech doesn't register til its near 150 or a little lower. I had to hold the buttons down to make the vapor recognize it when I first installed it.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 06-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Power User

engine temp has to be above 100 degrees when you hold the two buttons down to reset it.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 PM

Wildbob, what 4 valve head did you install? (name)

Coming from someone who has seen 2 Taida large valve heads, don't regret your dicision too much. Their quality controls isn't all it's cracked up to be. (that's why I've seen 2 of them, I sent the first one back)
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 PM

I heard the 4 valve makes decent power but I don't like how u don't get a camshaft option, and then u have more valve train to worry about. I cant see for the $$ that it would make that much more power then a ported and polished head 2v, with a cam selection only way would to tell for sure would be to test the combos against each other.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansracerocket View Post
I heard the 4 valve makes decent power but I don't like how u don't get a camshaft option, and then u have more valve train to worry about. I cant see for the $$ that it would make that much more power then a ported and polished head 2v, with a cam selection only way would to tell for sure would be to test the combos against each other.
Pretty sure you can use any of the standard cams with the 4 valve head.

The rocker arm "Y"'s off while you still have only one lobe for INT and EXH.

Check it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAIDA-HIGH-P...c8f715&vxp=mtr
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yeah, I'm not too worried about cam choice as this baby seems to tear it up pretty good now. This was the first real ride (besides a quick lap around the yard) since the rebuild, so maybe the heat-up/cooling loosened the valves a bit, but there's definitely seems like there is a slight tappity-tappity-tap coming from the head. It could be completely my imagination, but i don't remember hearing it before my trip to the trails. Still cant get my temp sensor to work, guess I'll have to check the wire to the sensor, which unfortunately is shrink tubed and zip tied. The 4v head is a Ruima/Hoca in case anyones curious. I had two and gave one to MB1134.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 AM

So far I like the Ruima products.

Did you check your valve adjustment?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Heavy Contributor

I did during the build, and the engine runs great, but I need to pull the seats out and get the valve cover off and take a look. It might require an adjustment.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 06-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbob View Post
Still cant get my temp sensor to work, guess I'll have to check the wire to the sensor, which unfortunately is shrink tubed and zip tied.
Reset the vapor with the 3 button hold, run the engine til it's at normal operating temps. it HAS to be over 100 degrees. then do the 2-button reset.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Heavy Contributor

Pulled the seat and valve cover off to check valve adjustment. seemed ok, but re-did it to make sure at .004". Oil flow to the head is good, as I found out by cranking the motor with the valve cover off .. Guess I'll have to pull the jug and look for physical indications and throw a spacer or extra gasket in if it looks too close. The motor runs awesome however, so it might just be a clearance issue. Hopefully, nothing is too banged up. I do have a 4V piston in there but it's a high compression piston, so that might add to the clearance problem. It's just odd that I didn't hear it until I had hit the trails a bit. As for the vapor still cant get the temp to stay up, but until I feel safe to run the motor longer, it'll have to wait. Rain all weekend, so I guess it's no loss to tear it down.. I'd post a short video of it running if I could, so you hear it yourselves, but don't think I can..

2014 Kandi 90B

Last edited by wildbob; 06-13-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Heavy Contributor

Top end and CVT looked good. I guess the noise was was my imagination..unless its in the crank area.. Temp reading on the vapor turned out to be a bad sensor. I had to replace it since I forgot to detach it from the motor when I pulled it to inspect..tore it off. Plugged a new one in a temp came right up.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 PM

I know its a old thread but how is that 4 valve head combo treating you wildbob

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Heavy Contributor

I love it..

2014 Kandi 90B