BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Contributor

Default Helix - Poor performance when cold & starting

Hey guys, back here again trying to keep this kart alive

So I'm pretty sure the battery's shot on this thing, which didn't last very long unfortunately. At least a year or so, bummer... But I hooked it up to the charger last night and let it go on 2 amps overnight. It cranked well to start it once, but after letting it sit for a couple of hours and trying again I nearly had to jump it.

But that leads me to another issue we're having with poor performance when the engine's cold. It'll idle just fine after you pump the gas a couple of times. However once you take off within the first few minutes of starting it up, it sounds like absolute garbage (and performs as such), as if the carb was clogged up. I was thinking it may have to do with the spark, because once we give it a couple of laps it's running just fine. Does the power for the spark come off the battery by chance, which may be causing this

Thanks all and I hope everyone has had a good start to the new year!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Contributor

Just ran it after spraying the carb with cleaner, didn't make a difference. Still runs poorly when cold; takes a minute for it to idle once first started; once it starts idling okay it is idling a bit high then calms down. Maybe the choke is sticking a little?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Power User

more likely than not there's gelled up fuel waste floating around in the carb, lines and tank. my wife's baja is basically doing the same thing after sitting for a couple months since the last run.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 AM

Sounds like u need a good clean & flush of the fuel system. Needs to be done periodically considering the dust & dirt we go thru.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Lurker

I agree with the previous 2 post about dirt and debris in carb. Had lots of problems like yours on my crossfire. Clean carb and get about 25 minutes of good performance and then it would run like crap until it was cleaned out again. I removed the tank and flushed it repeatedly, replaced the reserve/shut off valve with a standard valve, installed a see through riding mower fuel filter, and a brand new $30 carb. Now it starts and idles perfect. I am thinking of stepping up to the larger intake/carb combo next summer.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Contributor

Thanks for the input guys. I gave it a second dose of carb cleaner today, this time ensuring it made it past the plate inside. It seemed to run better this time around...with heading back to school in just a couple of days I won't have much more time to work on it, but this summer I'll have it in good condition!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Spraying carb cleaner into the carb throat when mounted on the buggy isn't doing anything.

You need to remove the carb, count the amount of turns IN on any adjustment screws and write them down, disassemble it completely, THEN spray carb cleaner through all the ports. Reassemble it, return all the carb adjustment screws to the settings you wrote down, and reinstall it on the buggy.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM

What he said!