BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Troubleshoot my GY6 Yerf

Had the Yerf for about a year now (3rd owner) and everything's been great. Then we had some people over and an adult (200 lbs or so) and a teen (150 lbs) drove it together... now the front right tire is rubbing and there is no high end power. The engine starts fine, sounds fine. The engines seems fine as you drive at first, but as you give it more gas, it doesn't respond... rpms also don't seem to rev higher as more gas pedal is given. It doesn't have that loud high end sound when you floor it. It's lost about 50% of it's top speed... down to about 12 mph I'd guess. Engine doesn't sputter, but does slightly sound as if it's bogging down a bit. I was thinking with all that weight they "stripped" the gears or something? I'm no mechanic at all. I did check the oil and it is low (just a little showing on the stick (1/8th of an inch). It was driven a lot that night. I have never cleaned the carberator or airfilter or added oil... do you think it just needs servicing, or do you think with their weight, it damaged something? Thanks for the help!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Check ur cvt belt and make sure it didnt hurt it first. Does the engine smoke or anything of the sort?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Engine does not smoke at all and idles fine. Engine has never smoked a bit since I've had it. Everything seems normal, until you give it more than about 25% of the gas pedal.

Last edited by TNBuggy; 12-02-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 PM

Remove the air box/filter and make sure the needle and slide rise up inside the carb as the RPM raises. I had a "E" clip break on my carb needle once. Would start and idle fine. once you gave it gas, she would crap out due to lack of fuel.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Lite Contributor

I wouldn't think the weight would be much of an issue, me and my nephew ride mine all the time and we weigh around 400 total together, my buggy is also a 150cc.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBuggy View Post
Had the Yerf for about a year now (3rd owner) and everything's been great. Then we had some people over and an adult (200 lbs or so) and a teen (150 lbs) drove it together... now the front right tire is rubbing and there is no high end power. The engine starts fine, sounds fine. The engines seems fine as you drive at first, but as you give it more gas, it doesn't respond... rpms also don't seem to rev higher as more gas pedal is given. It doesn't have that loud high end sound when you floor it. It's lost about 50% of it's top speed... down to about 12 mph I'd guess. Engine doesn't sputter, but does slightly sound as if it's bogging down a bit. I was thinking with all that weight they "stripped" the gears or something? I'm no mechanic at all. I did check the oil and it is low (just a little showing on the stick (1/8th of an inch). It was driven a lot that night. I have never cleaned the carberator or airfilter or added oil... do you think it just needs servicing, or do you think with their weight, it damaged something? Thanks for the help!
Is your front tire rubbing like this in this thread? if so you probably have a bent spindle.

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552
Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks everyone for the help. Rarerat, that is exactly what happened on our passenger side front spindle... I'll try and bend it back myself and check the passengers weight next time!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Lite Contributor

UPDATE: Finally got around to working on it some more... determined that the ignition coil had all but disintegrated and was loose on the spark plug... causing it to run rough. Also had a vacuum hose disconnected too. Installed a new ignition coil and a new platinum spark plug and WOW... it starts better than it ever has and idles sooooo smooth. I also changed the engine oil and the gear oil. Funny thing was... right after I changed the plug and coil I took it for a test drive and it was still bogging down when I would give it more gas, but gradually seemed to improve and then suddenly it kicked in and the power was back... all of a sudden. After that test drive it's running so smooth... almost as if something was clogged and suddenly became unclogged... or does it take a little running for the new parts to take effect... was strange, but I'm not complaining! I might change the fuel filter... looks pretty old. Any recommendations on a fuel filter?

Last edited by TNBuggy; 02-25-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Lite Contributor

Now that the engine is running fine, my next project will to upgrade to the heavy duty spindles and ball joints. I have the 3rd gen stock spindles and joints (all are bent to some degree).
Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 PM

If you have access to a welder, you can make your own HD spindles, like I did. I don't think I will ever break these, as for the rest of the parts, that remains to be seen. Here is a pic of what mine look like now, less the trailer spindles that are slowly creeping to my house via USPS at the speed of smell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121210_124701.jpg (89.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20121210_154344.jpg (92.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20121211_114640.jpg (95.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Masteryota; 02-25-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 PM

Master, did you weld the bolt head on the outside (tire) part of the spindle?

Many of us have drilled the spindle and welded the bolt head on the inside part. That way it's supported better. The stock ones cracked at the weld around the bolt head.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
If you have access to a welder, you can make your own HD spindles, like I did. I don't think I will ever break these, as for the rest of the parts, that remains to be seen. Here is a pic of what mine look like now, less the trailer spindles that are slowly creeping to my house via USPS at the speed of smell.
No, as I said, still waiting on the trailer spindles to come in, the spindle shafts will be welded in on both sides, these are pics from when I did the gussets.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 PM

OK good. I had no idea what you meant about the trailer bearings.