BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Power User

Default Kawa-buggy --- driveline concept

OK, so dummy me overlooked one critical item, my engine is clockwise rotation--glad i didn't start cutting up the yerf!

Edited to read: Dummy me had a false alarm, rotates CCW, all is well!

So, at this stage I have an engine some front suspension bits, fenders, rims/hubs and about a billion ideas swirling around.

Right now, I'm looking for ideas for a transmission. The engine is rated at 27 hp, 41 ft.lbs of torque at about 3600 rpm. the hp curve is nice and progressive, seems to really be a good range mid rpm engine, broad flat torque curve that starts well down low.

I don't mind having a manual transmission, anywhere from 3 to 5 speed- with reverse The more gears, the less load the engine will be subjected to. It still has its original rings & bearings. It didn't smoke, bores aren't scratched up and still shows the factory honing. It doesn't have a governor any longer, but i'm likely going to buy a tiny tach and make sure when i do the initial test run that I get the carb dialed in right around 3600 max so I don't find out where its failure rpm is.

The output shaft is 1-1/8 OD with 1/4-in. keyway, protrudes 3-3/4 inches from the case.

Looking for transmission suggestions and any other commentary on this project is welcome. This one has got to be a total low to no budget creation.

Last edited by x-bird; 11-10-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Power User

Anyone have an ideas whether or not a Polaris 2x4 trans off a trailboss 350 would hold up to this engine? General thoughts on that particular trans type?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

I have the same tranny on the Frankenbuggy (325 trailboss).I pulled the 600cc (70-90hp) due to the fear of failure after finding out the tranny is only rated for 50hp. So you're good!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Power User

Nice to know, there's one getting ready to end on e-rape for 169 plus shipping, seems like a good deal .... but really don't have the funds with x-mas coming up ... What surprises me is the hp rating on a 750 cc is so low (this one) guess most of it's in the cam and carb, being setup for a mower for steady state running (torque) and driving the hydraulic pumps and pto. I have yet to find anyone on the net who's used or modded one of these engines. Only commentary that concerned me was from one guy who broke a piston skirt in his and said the dealer told him replacement engine only, no way to repair the liner ...
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

HP rated on yours is only 3600 rpm!!! if it was designed to run more rpm's it would be up there!!!So no-one sells a liner/sleeve?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
Nice to know, there's one getting ready to end on e-rape for 169 plus shipping, seems like a good deal .... but really don't have the funds with x-mas coming up ... What surprises me is the hp rating on a 750 cc is so low (this one) guess most of it's in the cam and carb, being setup for a mower for steady state running (torque) and driving the hydraulic pumps and pto. I have yet to find anyone on the net who's used or modded one of these engines. Only commentary that concerned me was from one guy who broke a piston skirt in his and said the dealer told him replacement engine only, no way to repair the liner ...

HP is just a hypothetical derivative of torque at a given rpm.
i'd bet dollars to copchow it'd happily live at a good amount more rpm then the 3600 industrial standard and make a happier HP number too.
toss in some v'springs and it'd probably pull decent to near 6 grand.

does it have an actual liner or a sprayed-in bore like nikasil?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Power User

cast iron liner. Just got an e-mail from one supplier i ordered the oil seal and head gaskets from ---discontinued and not in stock at their warehouse or through kawasaki. I've got a couple choices left that were a little pricier, but I may just get this running and sell it if there is zero support for it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Contributor

i'd try to work with it.
big torque, good sounding exhaust, high coolness factor...
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Power User

Am going to bite the bullet on this one .... Times are too tough and christmas is coming, gaskets and seal have been ordered. I'm going to get this running and sell it off. I was thinking $500 to $750. with a video of it running and pics of the internals etc. does this sound reasonable?