BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-24-2015, 11:01 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Works shock for Yefdog, worth it????

I've heard about the Works shocks. And sounds like it's a must for my FL 350. However, never thought about putting it on the Yerfdog. But Someone did bring it up, putting it on their buggy. And what an improvent it was. Not sure if they refering to a Yerfdog or not.
So the question is, would it be worth the money to put Works Shocks on my 3206 Yerfdog? They not cheap I know. My rear shocks are OK, but I know the rear still gets beat up pretty good. I have a bad back, so dont take me long before I half to take a break.
Run it mainly off road, pasture, and trails. If I can take a lot of the shock off my back, would be something I will look into.
And when buying, is there a Yerfdog version of the shocks? Or do I half to go into more detail on what I need? I've never bought, or order Works shocks. But from I understand, they are custom shocks.
Thanks.

Last edited by tkeagle; 08-24-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeagle View Post
I've heard about the Works shocks. And sounds like it's a must for my FL 350. However, never thought about putting it on the Yerfdog. But Someone did bring it up, putting it on their buggy. And what an improvent it was. Not sure if they refering to a Yerfdog or not.
So the question is, would it be worth the money to put Works Shocks on my 3206 Yerfdog? They not cheap I know. My rear shocks are OK, but I know the rear still gets beat up pretty good. I have a bad back, so dont take me long before I half to take a break.
Run it mainly off road, pasture, and trails. If I can take a lot of the shock off my back, would be something I will look into.
And when buying, is there a Yerfdog version of the shocks? Or do I half to go into more detail on what I need? I've never bought, or order Works shocks. But from I understand, they are custom shocks.
Thanks.
tk, from my experience with the yerf dog with offroading the shocks really are a must. Stock ones are garbage. I did purchase the bdx shocks in all 4 corners, as they where an improvement over stock but still did not ride like anything like my hammerhead does. The yerf seats are not comfortable which makes the ride hurt while in the trails. If your really going to keep the yerf then ok spend the money. From what ive heard for ordering the custom shocks you have to give them all kinds of measurements so they can build it to your vechile.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 PM

Pretty sure it was Ckau that has them installed on his Yerf, Maybe shoot him a PM asking for his opinion?

Tom (Syc Powerports) may have some input on them as well
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yes, I plan on keeping the yerfdog. I've put to much time and money into it, to sell it. Or lets say, I dont see how I would get out, what I put into it. Besides, it's a fun little buggy, and for the kids, it's great. And repairs are cheap, once you get to a certain point in fixing the flaws in it. Tell you the truth, I'm always keeping an eye out for another one. Like to make a 2nd one for hunting. All I need is pretty much the frame, and front end. Have 2 spare engine and trani's. Every thing else will be replaced anyway. Where we are deer hunting now, still might half to use this one. Just half to find a good cover when parking it. It's a little bright for hunting. .

I do have some good shocks up front, and BD shocks in the back. As you said, I think it should ride alot better. It's still a rough riding sucker. If the shock can fix a good amount of that, then something I will look into. When first put new front end on, and replaced the shocks all around. I really thought it would ride closer to my Artic Cat 4 wheeler. It was a great improvemnt. However, I was disapointed to say the least.
Riding down the trails with the Artic Cat, you feel only about 1/4 of what your going over. Yerf current setup, still feels 100% of what you going over. So pretty much what I'm looking for. And if need to spend $600-800 to do it, and get what I want, I'll pay for it. Thou, I'll half to wait for my 175 Stroker. . Thx for feed back.

It's got to help with the abuse that goes into the buggy it self, which would result in less repairs. So that would be a big plus also.

thx Xlint, I'll msg them, and see if can get a little more info from them.

You know, after I got done with the YD, this winter, I thought I was pretty much done with it. I really wanted to get into my FL 350. However, after playing with the YD all summer. Seeing what improvements can be made. Guess it's a never ending project. Always looking for something better and faster to put into it. Which scares me when I get into the FL350. However, with the 2, will keep me pretty busy this winter. Need to keep one of them going at all times. If ever get any good snow again, I will half to go play. Other than putting money and time into my GTO, cant see a better way to tinker. And rewards are a good return.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

CKAU does have them on his yerf but I believe he has redone his suspension and is nothing like the stock setup. The buggies we had the shocks made for are the Carter, HH, Blade, Kinroad styles with the 150cc and 250cc. The above buggies mentioned ride a world of difference as compared to the yerf. The yerf suspension was basically designed as a yard cart for young kids. The old kids like us started taking them off road. jmansracerocket has a point with the seats, especially if you have the plastic seats. The last works ordered for a customer were about $200.00 ea and that was 3 years ago. They make a huge difference on previous mentioned buggies, just not sure what effect they will have on the yerf.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

I put a set of works on a simi-stock yerf about 10 years ago. Huge difference, the buggy now had a working suspension! but the shocks sort of posed another problem. The shock upgrade caused a need for a-arm upgrades which caused a need for spindle upgrades which caused a need for wheel upgrades ......... and so on. you guys get the point!
There's a lengthy discussion on the pros and cons along with the issue of justifying cost in the "First glimpse" thread. The buggy featured in that thread sits waiting on a set of Works to complete the package.
The Works web site has a work sheet to design a set for your particular need. you can view that to get an idea of what is needed to build a set.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:08 PM

Thank you for the input guys.

TK, my FL 350 I found to be too powerful or too much RPM at take off for any fun. It just spun the tires, never hooked up. So, no speed......

Keep the Yerf running all winter long.

Look how clean the driver's seat is...... FUN!!!!!

Sorry for the side track. Back to your regularly scheduled program.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........

Last edited by xlint89; 08-25-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Heavy Contributor

Thx Xlint, will keep that in mind. I can see that happening with the FL350. Rear tires that came with it, are pretty bald. Oh wait... It came with a set of paddle tires, front and rear. Would that be something I could play with?

Ckau, Nice build on the Single seater Yerf BTW.

That was a pretty long thread. You did touch on the works shocks in the thread. But guess the only question is this. I've Beefed up the entire front end with BD parts. "A" arms, Ball Joints, Spindles, and hubs are all BDx upgraded. Only thing left I need to do, is re-inforce the bulk head. (to do list, this winter). Will these upgrades hold up with the Work shocks? (as you stated, easier to use already fabbed parts that someone else did the work on.)
If I do get the shocks, I will start with the rear I think. Seems like where I get the most beating at. (fronts are better than rears) Rear spider box, pretty much stock. Shock brackets still in stock location.
Anything I need to look into on the rear before I look into buying Works in the rear?
BTW, on that thread, really didn't see any Cons: listed. Might be on another. But can see how you would need a beefer front end to handle it.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeagle View Post
If I do get the shocks, I will start with the rear I think. Seems like where I get the most beating at. (fronts are better than rears) Rear spider box, pretty much stock. Shock brackets still in stock location.
Anything I need to look into on the rear before I look into buying Works in the rear?
BTW, on that thread, really didn't see any Cons: listed. Might be on another. But can see how you would need a beefer front end to handle it.
The Con:? Price ! A set(4) of custom Works will set you back 800 to 1,000 bucks. That's more than most spend on a whole buggy!
It's not that the components need to be beefed up to handle the shocks but rather the shock enable you out drive the capabilities of the stock components. You tear stuff up because the ride is improved to the point you push the limits.
I had to dig deep into the archives to find this pic it' my first yerf with a set of Works. Because of the shock length, the shock mount on the lower a-arm had to be cut off then turned around so to move the mounting point close to the spindle. Otherwise it picked the front end to high for my liking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yerf heims 016.jpg (92.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Heavy Contributor

Well, ya, that sure is a con. That makes sense. The kids know they are only able to go so fast. Have a Trail Tech on it, and I Reset it, so I know the top RPM and speed they gone after coming back. But I'm sure I will play hell with it. But if get the 350 going, doubt I'd be driving the YD much. .

Good to know. I checked out the work sheet to order a set. Didn't know they had so many different types. What type would you Suggest. If I'm correct they have a Single, Duel, and Triple Shock. I'm guessing the Triple would be the best and most expensive. But if for some reason, don't need them, duel work better? don't need to waste anymore money.
From what I saw, all their shocks can be sent in, and rebuild? I do have a set of Works on the rear of the FL350. But looks like they been there a while. On the site, they stated they can be rebuilt no matter how old they are. Have you ever done that? And would you happen to know how much the cost would be?
Thanks

Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Heavy Contributor

Forgot to ask. I might half to order a set at a time, rather than all 4 at once. What set would benefit the buggy the most? And better ride? Get the front set first? Or Back?
They any cheaper if I buy all 4 at once?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Supporting Vendor

Weather you but 1 or 10 they will be the same price. I had put all 4 on my Blade but if I had to guess I would say the front would be more beneficial in saving the front end. The problem is the yerf has such a terrible suspension design. I know a few people who upgraded to the BD front end and rear axle and still tore them up. The main reason I am sold on the Works shocks is my 2004 Blade single seat buggy still has the origional front struts. My son's 2004 Blade which is driven less than mine still has the original shocks and had to replace the struts twice.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Heavy Contributor

WEll, sounds like a good investment to save on repairs. .
Old 09-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Heavy Contributor

I was going through some pics looking for something to maybe enter in the latest contest when I came across this. It's a good example of what a set of Works shocks can do for you.
The blue carter has a set of stock shocks. The red yerf with a set of Works. Their on a hard packed surface in a 20 degree banked turn running approximately 25mph.
Notice how the carter looks really out of shape with excessive body roll, inside rear tire lifted along with outside front corner showing extreme camber, The tire rolling under on the verge of collapse. Almost scary when you realize this is normaly what happens in a hard fast turn!
The yerf, on the other hand, is sitting square and plumb with the surface. all four corners planted firmly.
Now granted these are two different types of chassis. but the yerf handled worse than the carter before the shock upgrade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg biltmore 016.jpg (98.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-11-2015, 10:30 PM

cool pic!

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:14 AM
Heavy Contributor

ckau, very nice example. I don't think we have any races like that around here.
Why the hell not? It's freaking Kansas. Think we would have enough flat dirt and sand for someone to come up with a track. .

Buggy's just not a big thing around here. However, I'm pretty sure if I come a cross a cheap used one. And gave a few of my friends a heads up that have kids. Pretty sure they would jump on it. After letting their kids drive mine, and they drive it themselves, They really like the safety equp. on a buggy, compared to a 4wheeler. 4 Wheelers or river mudding, is what most ppl do around here for off roading.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Supporting Vendor

Liability issues. More and more states are requiring private tracks and parks to carry liability which they either cannot find or is to cost prohibited. We had a dirt track just a few miles from my house. You signed a waiver weather racing or just a spectator. One weekend the cars would show up at 1 pm to test and tune. That night during the heat race one racer who run the test and tune earlier (so he was fully aware of the track conditions which had a dip in turn 2) lost control in that turn and flipped his car ending up landing on the guard rail. He died immediately due to his roll cage failing, breaking at a weld which penetrated his gut. He built his own car including the roll cage. He was 32 years old with now a widow and 3 kids with 1 on the way. The track was sued claiming the dip in turn 2 was negligent there for the track they claim was responsible for his death. The kid was there to test and tune earlier, knew of the dip and signed a waiver as did the rest of his family releasing the track of all liability and decided to race. Now the track hired a good lawyer in which all were confident of a win with a jury trial since the cage is what killed the kid and should not have broken but protected him. The track weighed the total cost of litigation vs. what the track brings in and decided to file for bankruptcy.Since this event our state passed new legislation requiring all events to carry a 5 million dollar liability policy in which no insurance company will write.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Heavy Contributor

That's becoming frequent issue these days. Nobody wants to accept responsibility for their own actions The track pictured is our own private track we built on private land for our personal use and we are real picky about who rides on it.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Heavy Contributor

ya, that sums it up. It's my moms ground we ride, fish, swim on. we have friends come out. as ckau said, we very picky who comes out. mom looked into having everyone that comes out, sign a waver. her attorney told her, wouldn't matter. If they want to sue, they will do it. Wavers don't mean crap anymore. mom more scared of someone drowning more than anything. why when kids are swimming. Parents are inline of sight at all times of the kids. We'll have 10 or more kids at one time sometimes. We all take head counts, and check all the time. When kids get on the buggy, I stop what I'm doing, and stand on the dike. Watch and listen. If I don't hear the engine running for more than a min. I'm heading over that way to see whats up. Why I really like that exhaust.
Sometimes wonder how the wife and I have any fun when we do have 3 or 4 families come out. We are on constant alert. But we enjoy others having fun. We can go out there anytime we want.
One time Emmy was watching kids on the Dock. One girl slipped and hit the dock sideways going in. Was in the spring, and water was a little chilly. But kids don't care. my wife wont go in, until heat of summer. She hates cold water. It's got to be warm. But before we could do anything. Emmy jumped in the water, with all her clothes even before the girl came back up to surface. She was fine. little black and blue on her hip. But just surprised me how she didn't even give it a 2nd thought. She was in the water.
Another time, kids was playing out in water all after noon. All the kids was playing on a large floaty. One of the kids, was only about ten feet from floaty. And herd him as one of the other kids for help. I could see he was having problems. Others didn't do anything. He asked again for help. Nothing. He was about ready to go down. Yelled at top of my lungs for my son to go help him. Devan grab him, and got him back on the floaty. Kid was just got tired. They was out swimming all after noon. After that, brought all the kids in, and wife and I gave them all a royal azz chewing. Let them know, if someone ask for help, you better do it, or they wont come out again. Then grounded them for the rest of the day out of the water. I finally got to drink a beer. .
I used to be a registered life guard. However, still certified in CPR, and first aid. I go every 2 years. Just basicly because of the place we have.

Last edited by tkeagle; 09-13-2015 at 12:06 PM.