BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Lurker

Default talon gsr150r2 only runs while key is in start position

the engine runs at idle only while the key is in the start position and shouts off when released and the run position...what should I be looking for...it has the small cdi box...it came to me like this and have looked up several wiring diagrams and none are even close...cdi...voltage regulator?...thanks for any help...steve
Old 08-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Contributor

Is it really running or is the starter actually keeping it running?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Supporting Vendor

I would start at the wire that goes from the CDI to the key switch or the key switch itself may have bad contacts

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 08-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Lurker

scjeep4.7HO...it is running...exhaust sound and runs a little faster than the starter....when you let the key go to the run position it quits
jerseydevil...put a new three wire switch on it...the wiring isnt burnt or in bad shape...will a bad cdi or voltage regulator cause this.
thanks for the replys...steve
Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Supporting Vendor

was the original switch a 3 wire also?
one possibility is w/ these older carters they were wired for lack of a better term that i use to describe it is "reverse ground".
basically with these the switches and accessories are wired where grounds complete the circuit at the throw or use of every switch. for example the headlights are wired hot and the ground wire runs to the switch. the headlight switch when turned on completes a ground instead of contacting a hot wire in line to the light. kind of "reverse" of the way most of us wire something up. so when diagnosing you almost need to think a lil backwards, kind of like turning a wrench on a nut that is behind something facing you.
one more example of how weird these can be. ive owned a few carters, 1 of them needed a tail lite so i made a bracket and used an oval LED tail light. i wired the tail & brake wires to the harness and the ground wire of the light i grounded to the chassis instead of the harness. everything was fine but when i stepped on the brake it killed the motor. i thought about it for a second and moved the ground wire off the chassis and spliced it to the harnesses ground for the tail light, issue went away. point being that if the switch isnt identical replacement than maybe the ground on that switch is in the wrong spot and killing the motor.

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 08-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Lurker

jerseydevil...it is three wire switch system...I have tryed all combination with the same results...I'm not that good with wiring to begin with and the way this is wired is crazy...that is why I asked about the cdi and regulator...steve
Old 09-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Lurker

Default only runs while cranking

Did you get it figured out.
If your like mine I finally found a wiring diagram that was correct.
If you still need it.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Lurker

jeff mc,..No I havent got it going yet, if you have a wiring diagram that would be great...thanks steve