BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 12-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Lurker

Default wiring help

I have a yerf dog with a hammerhead twister motor that I can not get to start. I bought the motor and wiring in running condition. I took out all the wires I didn't think I needed but now I only get a spark to spark plug when I stop turning over the motor. I get just one spark everytime I turn the switch back to the on position from starting postion.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Supporting Vendor

The Yerf is an AC volt system, the HH engine started using the DC volt Ignition sometime in 2007 to present. Both buggies were wired differently where Yerf used the ground to switch on and off where as HH used the positive to switch on and off. You will first need to determine what year the HH engine is or if it is AC or DC since each uses a different stator as well as CDI. Make sure the engine is grounded to the rear carrier.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Lurker

It's a 2005 I'm using the hammerhead setup for everything including the key switch. The motor was running on a engine stand with all the wires attached when I picked it up. It was suppose to be a dtop in and run but I decided to simply the wiring and take out the turn signals and headlights stuff. There are two relays I took out but not sure what they did think one is a flasher relay.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:35 PM
Power User

Pretty sure one of those relays is necessary. it should have four wires going to it, i think two spades horizontal and one on either side going vertical.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 AM
Supporting Vendor

I know the new Kinroad just prior to having their import rights expelled used 2 relay's. One was for turn signals the other for 4 way blinkers. And Carter, don't remember which years or models used a relay in the start circuit. I have looked through all the HH manuals back to 2005 model, the only relays I see are for the turn signals. I doubt the relay has anything to do with a spark. It either sounds like a bad ground, ign. switch or cdi. Make sure that when you turn the ign switch to the on position, you have voltage at the cdi. Not sure what color the wire will be but blk. is a common color to supply the power to the cdi.