BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Lurker

Default New Carb

Hello all. I just got in a new GY6 Carb in. I installed it and the Yerf dog runs great. Problem is when I shut the engine off I noticed fuel coming out of the air intake on the carb. I adjusted the small metal plate that lifts the needle up three times raising it a little higher each time. Fuel is still flowing out. I did go to a larger fuel filter than what came with the Yerf Dog. Its one of those that you see on most riding lawn mowers, but surely that's not the problem. Any suggestion would be great. I am planning on picking up a fuel shut off valve tomorrow, but I'd rather fix the problem.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 PM

Welcome to the site rattlesnake.

Just to let you know, you are not the only one to experience that problem. I too had the same issue on my Yerfdog.

It's almost like the fuel bowl became pressurized and pushes fuel out the pilot jet.

Look into these threads: Might find some help

http://buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4048

http://buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3187

Never did figure out the problem as I eventually went to a Keihin round slide and finally to my Mikuni flat slide.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 12-12-2014, 10:53 PM

Even though it is a new carb, things rattled around. During shipping.

Funny it is not coming out of the overflow hose.
Until you resolve or find the issue, I suggest a shutoff valve.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:34 AM
Heavy Contributor

Take the bowl off and see if the needle and seat are sealing properly. Lift up on the floats and see if fuel stop flowing.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:25 AM
Contributor

Like post #4. Remove the float and needle. The smallest piece of debris under the needle will cause it to not seal correctly. Once you get the fuel to shut off properly, be sure and check to make sure you aren't running lean from your float height adjustments.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlickNick View Post
Even though it is a new carb, things rattled around. During shipping.

Funny it is not coming out of the overflow hose.
Until you resolve or find the issue, I suggest a shutoff valve.
If what he has is the same thing as me, it is weird. Fuel would run down the air intake tube (caulk tube in my place) and drip out of the air filter.

I ended up installing a shut off valve to stop it from happening, but it was really odd for sure.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Lurker

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I figured out a couple of things yesterday. The main one being, I need to stick with my day job!!! I had adjusted the float, but installed it upside down. Then I put the fuel line on the drain post on the bowl. A quick Google of a GY6 carb. diagram quickly showed me the errors of my ways. Wow!! And I didn't even have any Crown Royal to make those mistakes. I also had a problem with the brake, but I fixed that today also. Purged the brake lines of contaminated brake fluid. Then I used a small shop vac with a 12 inch clear hose to fill the brake lines. Nothing worked until I poured a little brake fluid in the top of the master cylinder. Basically I primed it. Now it works great. All evening I've been listening to screams of joy from my two girls as they raced it around the acreage. Thanks again for the fast responses.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Heavy Contributor

Glad you got it figured out.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:36 AM

That is why pictures are very useful.
Glad it is resolved.