BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default trailmaster engine case question

Any of you GY6 wizards know if the oil pump side of the trailmaster engine case is standard with other GY6's? I'm gonna build a evil motor, and I'd like to use the taida case half with the oil cooler ports built in. like this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil cooler.jpg (26.5 KB, 16 views)
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Supporting Vendor

yes i believe they

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 10-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Heavy Contributor

Sorry, your answer was cut off. compatible then?
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-03-2015, 07:06 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yes they will just make sure you order the correct bolt pattern for they offer both A series and B series patterns. Also if going with the original cooler ( heavy aluminum with spin on filter you will want to mount it on the underside just as hammerhead and carter has done. The max air will cross over it mounted in that position.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Heavy Contributor

I don't think it's that type of cooler, where do you suggest I mount it?

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Supporting Vendor

Really need to know what type of cooler it is. A radiator type cooler will need to mounted high but in a location where air will pass through it. The solid cast type with fins (original) will mount on the underside of buggy to where air can flow across it .
Old 10-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Heavy Contributor

The one in the pic looks like more of a radiator type. I took the passenger seat out, So maybe I'll mount it where the backrest area was..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 10-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

are

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 10-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Heavy Contributor

The benefits of a oil cooler can’t be disputed. I got a 10 to 15 degree reduction in head temps with the addition of the cooler. But there’s a couple of things you got to watch for.
I have observed two instances where the add-on coolers have failed. Both were due to the hose and clamps. One is where the hose got pulled loose and the second ,where the installer obviously over tightened the clamp, cutting the hose. In both cases, the buggy was done for the day. The hose and clamp method seems to work well in a scooterson the street but off road needs something stronger and more dependable. You won’t know a failure has occurred until it’s too late. unless someone behind you gets oil on their face and gets you stopped in time to save the motor. You can pump the case dry in a matter of moments.

For piece of mind , I re-tapped the case and the cooler to accept AN-6 fittings and had a couple of high temp, pressure hoses made. The case and cooler come tapped for metric fitting but they are hard to come by and have to be special ordered. AN6 is common so the fittings and hose can be had everywhere.
When you mount the cooler make sure the inlet/outlets are on top. Otherwise the cooler will drain back into the case causing a overfill problem plus this keeps oil in the system so you don’t have head starvation until pressure builds.
I use one that looks identical to yours It’s a mini radiator and it gets as hot as a radiator. My cooler is mounted on the frame just above and behind my right shoulder. Maybe about a foot away but I could feel the heat radiating off onto my shoulder. Not blistering but a touch uncomfortable. Keep the heat factor in mind while choosing a mounting spot. I cured this problem by fabbing a shroud just like the shroud in a car and stuck a computer CPU fan in. The shroud and fan moves all the heat out the back and keeps it cooler at low speeds when there’s not a lot of air moving through. The fan runs on milliamps so there no measurable amp loss. I control it with a on/off switch on the dash. According to a Trail Teck, head temp drops approximately 3 degrees when I switch the fan on while at idle. Not a huge percentage but every bit helps
Old 10-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

I was thinking of doing the same thing with a fan out of a big Cisco network switch. Good advice!

2014 Kandi 90B