BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Anyone Try NOS on GY6 150cc?

Just wondering. Found a used kit pretty damn cheap. Would be running dry shots. If set up correctly, will there be a noticeable difference when being used? Honestly, there is really no reason that I would need it. Kids sure in the hell don't need it. However, think would be cool to have it on there, just because. Might slap it on during the yearly town party, and raise some hell with it, on the city roads for a day.
Any try, or now, if NOS would impact a gy6 150cc? Just curious.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

It will greatly shorten the life of the engine, pistons mainly or worse.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Lite Contributor

Doubt it would be worth it. I wouldn't use it unless I had efi and could change the fuel mix when on the bottle.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:00 PM

lmao tk spend your money elsewhere for engine mods instead.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Contributor

If you were gonna do it just run a size or two fatter fuel jet when you know for sure you are gonna spray. Have a new spark plug in and don't spray too soon or hold it too long.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

Look, I plan on being the first to blow up their motor this season, no cheating with NOS..
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 03-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Heavy Contributor

I tried one of those small kits designed for atv's. A simple system consisting of a injector nozzle that I tapped into the side of a stock intake. A hose running to a small container that holds a cartridge like the co2 cartridges in a pellet gun. Drop the n2o cartridge in, tighten the bottom cap to puncture the cartridge and a button on the top gives a shot of gas.
Zipped tied the container next to the wheel and took some laps. Got up to speed and hit the button. There was a sight increase in power, nothing stupendous but you could feel it. Rpms picked up approximately 500. Cylinder head temp goes to the roof! Im guessing there's about 10 to maybe 15 seconds of gas in the cartridge. It's intended for some quick shots only I think.
The motor totally leaned out! Spark plug was scary! Tom's correct, it will toast a motor.
You HAVE to have some way of adding more fuel to the mix while on the gas. How much extra fuel? I have no idea. I thought maybe of using a tee in the gas line with a drip orifice into the intake but you would need a solenoid valve to open and shut the line when not needed or a switch to power off/on the fuel enrichener. but is that enough? It will require a lot of trial and error to get it right and most likely sacrifice a motor in the process. I shelved the project for another day at that point.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Contributor

Cool

Welcome friends , thank you for attending this weeks session of Buggyholics Anonymous . In regards to the aforementioned subject of N20 , let us not forget what we are dealing with here ........." IT'S A 150cc , ROGER , OVER , 10/4 " Poor little engines , pushed to the limits !
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY

Last edited by OLDKID; 03-04-2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Contributor

Cool

Mom ? Why is there a puddle of oil under my go kart , and something hanging out of the side of the engine ?
Well Timmy while you were away at Band Camp last week .....
Dad was back " ON THE BOTTLE " !!!
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 03-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Heavy Contributor

What about a manual choke on the enrichment circuit? Maybe even ream it out a little larger...
Old 03-05-2016, 12:14 AM

That's cool Ckau has tried it and had equip to observe the results. Thank you for the real world experience.

Not NOS related, but along the crazy power adding ideas, has anyone ever tried one of those electric superchargers? (hair drier)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GO-KART-ELEC...FVUWZC&vxp=mtr

Seems to me at least, it might be able to handle something along the lines of a 150.

Not exactly sure what the 150 air requirements are, but would think it might be able to keep up with one.

You're mainly running on the pilot jet most of the time (up to 3/4 throttle position) anyway. Can't see why you couldn't leave that alone and just run a fat main calibrated for the SC.

That way, if you pin the throttle (WOT and running off the main jet) you can hit a rocker switch mounted on the steering wheel (think Michael Knight in Knight Rider) or depress a switch/button activated by the gas pedal position. Something like an underhood switch for a car alarm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BWD-S820-Und...Zn6jlA&vxp=mtr

That way the SC is automatically electronically activated/deactivated just by pedal position.

Just throwing that out there for some thought.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........

Last edited by xlint89; 03-05-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:30 AM
Contributor

Keep in mind the SC will be s restriction the entire time it's not in operation. Where my real SC spins all the time to keep air free flowing an electric one not spinning until the switch is made will choke the system when not in use.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:20 AM

If that's the case, it can run with the engine when started.

OR... What about a "Y" in the air intake? One leg feeding the NA side (unrestricted) and the other leg has the SC feeding it.

Not looking to be a smart ass, just get the conversation going. This is how we brain storm some great ideas around here. Someone comes up with a thought, another builds off that thought, then the end result usually comes out brilliant.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........

Last edited by xlint89; 03-05-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjeep4.7HO View Post
Keep in mind the SC will be s restriction the entire time it's not in operation. Where my real SC spins all the time to keep air free flowing an electric one not spinning until the switch is made will choke the system when not in use.
Perfect answer jeep. Xlint I personally would just hook it up and let it always run. U going to be the Ginny pig and try that thing ? Lol

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Heavy Contributor

I hope we're not hijacking your thread TK but these are the sort of brainstorming discussions I really enjoy.
As I see it all these sort of HP producing add-on's, Nos, Turbos, SC's and FI's all run into the same problem on a gy6. It's a general lack of power. With the Nos, SC and the FI it's a lack of electric power needed to run the systems. The hurdle with the FI is lack of amps required to power a suitable fuel pump to produce the pressures needed. The NOS would require some sort of regulated fuel supply as well. The SC would require a large amp draw to power the blower. Some would say simply add a high output stator. Yep, that might do it but what would you have left to power lights and stuff. plus that stator uses extra HP to spin so you get into this circle of using HP to gain HP and after doing the math what have you gained other than a hole in the wallet.
Even with a turbo, though it's considered free HP being driven off the exhaust you still need a regulated fuel supply. This also would require a pressurized fuel system in order to regulate properly and accurately. Plus the cost of a custom turbo system may not be a good percentage of cost verses gain.
The invent of a 2amp fuel pump capable of producing 20PSI would be a serious game changer.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Contributor

You would need a low pressure fuel system with a blow through carb setup and a turbo. Supercharger and something this small and this small amount of HP wouldn't be worth it. Taking power away to spin a supercharger when you are lacking power to begin with is not ideal.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
I tried one of those small kits designed for atv's. A simple system consisting of a injector nozzle that I tapped into the side of a stock intake. A hose running to a small container that holds a cartridge like the co2 cartridges in a pellet gun. Drop the n2o cartridge in, tighten the bottom cap to puncture the cartridge and a button on the top gives a shot of gas.
Zipped tied the container next to the wheel and took some laps. Got up to speed and hit the button. There was a sight increase in power, nothing stupendous but you could feel it. Rpms picked up approximately 500. Cylinder head temp goes to the roof! Im guessing there's about 10 to maybe 15 seconds of gas in the cartridge. It's intended for some quick shots only I think.
The motor totally leaned out! Spark plug was scary! Tom's correct, it will toast a motor.
You HAVE to have some way of adding more fuel to the mix while on the gas. How much extra fuel? I have no idea. I thought maybe of using a tee in the gas line with a drip orifice into the intake but you would need a solenoid valve to open and shut the line when not needed or a switch to power off/on the fuel enrichener. but is that enough? It will require a lot of trial and error to get it right and most likely sacrifice a motor in the process. I shelved the project for another day at that point.
I have a neighbor who runs NOS in his javelin which he drag races. He goes through 4 sets of pistons over a 16 race season. NOS ruins pistons quickly, when mixed with fuel it burns very hot. Imagine a cutting torch adjusted for cutting, that is the fuel burning in the cylinder. When you hit the oxygen lever it is just like hitting the oxy lever.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Contributor

That's a little extreme. He must be using tons of it. Normally, good equipment set up correctly it can last a reasonable amount of time.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Heavy Contributor

This one made me laugh
This thread renewed my interest in NOS so I e-mailed a long time friend who's been into building high performance scooters for many years. I received a reply this morning......
The reply consisted of only a pic with the caption : "150cc piston after 2 1/8th mile passes".

Ok! literarily a picture worth a thousand words
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nospiston.jpg (51.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Contributor

That brings up a good point. With the addition of any power adder you need to widen your ring gap to compensate for the extra cylinder temp. That's what Is the result in that picture.

EDIT: Also need to make sure to run premium fuel.

Last edited by scjeep4.7HO; 03-06-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Heavy Contributor

LOL. No high jacking. Was just wondering if anyone has went to any extra HP, ADD ON's such as NOS, and was there noticeable HP if did so.
Ckau. Yes, I think I know the kits you are talking about. Thanks for the info on that. Pretty simple setup, and pretty cheap also. But is it worth the dmg it could do? unless your drag racing, don't see why would bother.
Was more of a thought of just having NOS on the buggy. But sounds like CKau (done that)
My friend is a machinist. He brought up trying to find a turbo charge for it. If I could find one that would work, he would fab all the pipe for me. He just as curious as me, seeing what can get out of those engines. However, didn't think of the need for some sort of pressurized fuel system.
Looks like the electric Blower could be possible? And it's not that pricey. Well with in budget, just to see if it could be done. I'm sure my buddy, would be all up for the challenge. I do have a 11 pole stator system in my engine.
So for the "y" idea SC on the intake side. You would need to place some type of flap system, to divert the air flow right? Other wise you would lose the boost right?

I have seen videos of guys putting turbos on a 50cc scotter, or mini bikes. talk about a cluster coming out of the engine. Not sure what kind of gain would get out of it.
Would be fun to play with, maybe with one of my older engines.
Just question. How critical is it to have a pressure fuel system? Or some how to regulate it.?
I'm sure it's been done by someone. But question, could you get say, 20 hp out of the engine?
At least, be a fun project to work on, during the winter.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Supporting Vendor

Not much gain from a turbo,likewise with electric blower which is useless. If you want more power for your money, build the motor. Although these motors are cheap to build, with any performance build good parts = good motor, cheap parts = short lived unreliable motor.

your
Old 03-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Heavy Contributor

Did little research. really no reason to go that route unless you just want to do it, just to do it. Still might be fun, to see how many runs I can get out of a stock GY6 with NOS. . And that's not cheating, just a way to speed everything up.
Like to get a HIGH output engine in the buggy before the town party this year in mid July. Lower the gears, and smaller stock street tires. Love to pull up next to the ppl in town with my Yerf, vs their Razors. Take off on the line, with a small wheelie. Might only be out in front for half block. But would be an entertaining day.

That said. Still might be a fun project over the winter, just to see what can be done to get some added extra power, from one of the Electric SC.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Supporting Vendor

The electric super charger is a waste of money. A super charger compresses air/fuel into the cylinder, the electric blows air in.I bought one for my 250. Waste of money.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Contributor

I've got Paxton NOVI 1000 setting on the shelf lol. It's bigger than the engine, probably good for about 30 pounds of boost on a tiny thing like this.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Power User

I'd say can the electric and go with my idea of doing a blow-through leaf blower. Bigger carb, fast taper needle, big main jet and both throttles hooked to the pedal. Run methano, or add a methanol injector for the top end.