BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Contributor

Default One Last Try then.....

Hi everyone. Its been a while but I still have the Zombie Patrol buggy I built a few years ago at my new house.
I decided to pull it out of the shed and get it started since it was never run after finishing it. I put some gas in the tank, made sure the filter was full, set the choke and tried to kick start it but no good.
I have it wired for a battery but never bought one. I do have switches installed for the ignition and they were on. I have attched a pic of my wiring diagram. Please take a look and see if I missed something.

Otherwise i'm gonna put it up for sale as my son no longer has interest in it or any vehicles for that matter.
Thanks,
Matt

Then all your problems look like nails.

Last edited by Lyonsperf; 10-20-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Heavy Contributor

Try disconnecting the ground wire (green in your schematic) from the cdi. Grounding out the cdi kills ignition power. Normally a switch is used on the ground lead to serve as a kill.
And hey! Good to see you back here again.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Contributor

Thanks i'll try that. My coil has a green terminal and a black terminal, which one is the ground?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Power User

most fof the time green is ground and black hot with these things. messed me up the first time i started messing with them.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Contributor

Well, I cut the green wire to the cdi, hooked up the lawn tractor battery on it and still nothing. Pulled the coil plug and put a bolt in the end to check for spark but nothing. The starter makes a quarter of a turn then stops. I can use the kickstart to rotate the engine but still no spark. I either need a stronger battery or the coil and wire assembly are junk.
I already put a lot of money in this thing, hi po stator, new rectifier, new cdi plus all the other mods. don't have much more to spend.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Is your stator and pickup good?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Contributor

Everything is brand new. I think I'm gonna replace the coil and spark plug wire because its the one that came with the engine. I bought the engine new off ebay and it came with the coil, cdi and carb. I ditched the cdi and carb because they were junk. I bought a new cdi, 11 pole stator, new rectifier to match the stator and a Makuni carb. I reused the coil which I think is junk and the coil wire doesn't impress me.
I'll hit up your site for the parts I need. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Contributor

OK another day down and still she no start. I did some research and found that my CDI may be wired incorrectly. I found a pinout diagram of a AC CDI and it shows that the red wire coming from the stator should be going to the bottom connection of the two prong plug. I have disconnected the black wire coming from the top connection as it says its the kill switch. Does the CDI box need to be grounded using one of the two ground ports in order for it to work?

I have a 195 cca tractor battery but it will not crank the starter. I used my Power Probe test light to energize the starter curcuit at the solinoid and it cranked a quarter of a turn then popped the breaker in my test probe. Could the starter be bad? This is really frustrating as this engine was purchased new with only minor mods for increased performance. I was gonna pull the battery from my truck and see if that cranks it over but it shouldn't need that much CCAs to do it.
Any thoughts?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Supporting Vendor

The cdi will have nothing to do with the cranking of the engine, just the ign. If it's pulling that many amps and won't turn over I would try it with the plug pulled. Try both with starter and by hand using the right side fan. When turning by hand you should only feel resistance as the cam open the valves. If hard by hand with starter removed will indicate something internal causing your problem. It should turn freely by using one hand on fan to turn over with the exception of when the rockers meet the ramp of the cam lobes but once it reaches full lift of the lobe it should almost push itself over the highest point of the lobe. Bench check the starter and listen to how fast it spins. Other then something internal hanging up causing the resistance like the starter clutch it could be too high compression on a weak starter or starter clutch. Most AC cdi's I've seen have only one ground to it. It will have at the 2 pin side a red/blk. wire from stator and Blk./ white to kill switch and on the 4 pin plug Blk./yel. to ign. coil, green to ground, blu./white to trigger and one terminal is empty.