BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 01-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Exclamation gy6 150 cc Carter talon- Runs bad when hot?

Good Afternoon,

I have had some on going issues with my cart, and I have made little progress. I have a few questions for those more experienced out there..My cart is leaking oil from the valve cover and runs horribly seemingly after it gets hot.

1) Is there only supposed to be a rubber gasket between the head and the valve cover? Or is there also supposed to be gasket material/rubber/cork gasket on the engine side as well?

2) When the engine gets up to operating temp, shortly after its ran a little, it runs terribly. I am not really even sure how to explain it, it sounds different, looses its deep tone, and seems to require a lot more effort to move. Could this be a valve clearance issue?

3) If the answer to question 2 is yes, what is the easiest way to adjust it? My model buggy the valve cover is directly behind the seat......
Here is a pic I found on google so you can see the location:

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Heavy Contributor

My gy6 motor only had an o-ring style gasket on the valve cover.

As far as it running bad when it's hot, I would make sure your automatic choke is working. If it isn't working it will cause the buggy to run very rich.

A quick check is to take the auto choke off and apply 12 volts to it, it should extend slowly. This can take a few minutes.

In the picture you posted the auto choke is the thing on your carb with the green and yellow wires.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Lite Contributor

Could I just take it off and turn the switch to on? or do I need to remove the autochoke and apply direct 12v to wire via insertion method?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

If it's powered by the return wire from the ignition then you can just turn it on. If it's powered by the stator then it will only have power while the buggy is running.

You can simply see if it has 12 volts while the key is on.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Administrator

What knd of buggy?
Old 01-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
What knd of buggy?
See title
Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
See title
Carter Talon 150CC bought from northern tools
Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
If it's powered by the return wire from the ignition then you can just turn it on. If it's powered by the stator then it will only have power while the buggy is running.

You can simply see if it has 12 volts while the key is on.
Right. haha... I will find out tomorrow and post back!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Administrator

My first thought is bad choke. There is a thread in this forum somewhere that will show you a pic of what the choke looks like before and after it yas heated up. Give it 12 volts and see what it looks like after 5 mins.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 PM
Lite Contributor

Would a bad enricher/auto choke cause such a instantaneous difference? Once a few minutes of it running it just almost instantly goes from fine to really crappy (as far as i can tell)... But like I said, I will check it out tomorrow... I may have an extra off an old carb kit laying around I could try to see if that makes a difference. Personally I thought valve clearances but we shall see! thx for guidance and Ill let you know.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Heavy Contributor

I don't think it would be an instant thing like flicking a switch.

I wouldn't think it would be valves. Adjusting valves only takes a few minutes though, and it's free, so I say when in doubt adjust..lol
Old 01-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Lite Contributor

Ok guys,

I tested the enricher/auto choke and this is what I found.

After 5 minutes of heat (current on) it expanded (best measure with ruler) 5/16 inch or about 7.94mm. Which from what I read I think is in the O.K. zone?

After 5 minutes of no heat (current off) it did not move at all (if it did it was extremely small amount). and still held at an expanded length of 5/16 in.

I took another autochoke off the carb I replaced and started it up and reved her a few times in the garage. She sounds good, but to know for sure if my problem is fixed I need to give her a test drive and get it up to operating temp and see if my problem still occurs. Right now its pooring rain and has been for 2 days. I dont want to drive it down the road and then something happen..... I may have to wait. Maybe in an hour or two the rain will have stopped and I can drive it down the street.

I thought the point should detract and go back into the module after the heat had been off for 5 minutes (at least some noticeable amount). Does this sound like my problem guys?
Old 01-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Heavy Contributor

Not sure how long it is supposed to take to go back in. If it were to stay out then your problem would probably be a difficult cold start.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Lite Contributor

Well I just ran it down the street a few times and it doesnt seem to have the problem still.... But I didnt run it long enough to be sure, my hands just about froze off! Hopefully its fixed but I will have to run it for an extended amount of time as soon as its not raining and 35 degrees....
Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 PM

the petcock on the bottom of your fuel tank, is that little short rubber hose plugged? I think it should be.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Heavy Contributor

If you're talking about the first picture, he got that from google, it's not his actual buggy.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Lite Contributor

No thats not my buggy haha, I was just too lazy to take my own picture.