BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 01-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Heavy Contributor

Question Genuine Mikuni Vs. knockoff

I suspect my VM26-606 I bought is a cheap knockoff. Is there any clear way to tell? I guess that since it's box was plain brown with a stamp that said "VM26-606" on it, might have been an indicator.. Do real mikuni's get packaged this way. It seems that companies that guarantee that the product is genuine charge about $30 more than I paid...
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-21-2015, 10:56 AM

a lot of the import stuff people sell for our gy6 stuff claim to be "genuine" and ive seen differences also in carbs, manifold, heads, and numerous little things.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Power User

should have the mikuni logo cast in it somewhere ...
Old 01-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

it does have the casting, but i hear the knockoffs do too.. Some say it should say "Mikuni Corp" or "Mikuni Corporation", etc...
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Heavy Contributor

The place I bought it from says it's a genuine, but me being me ordered another one from a place that guarantee's it. I'll make a comparison..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-21-2015, 04:59 PM

Pretty sure I had a knock off. Looked A lot like the real thing, but little things made me think otherwise.

Can you post up a few pics?

I would also open it up and compare the internals to what is supposed to be in there like pilot and main jets (look for the "square" symbol on the main jet for genuine Mikuni jets) also get the number off the needle
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

Yeah, I took the original jets out (genuine jets are currently in it) when I got it, and went through many different combinations and still haven't gotten it to run quite right.. It was still acting rich.. Would fire right up with the choke off, but not start with it on.. and would be super boggy.. Never had a chance to do a plug check because I burned up my harness with a grounding problem.. The motor's currently on the bench and I'm getting ready to weld the tank supports on..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 01-21-2015, 10:51 PM

Mine was the same way with the no choke needed. Was a real beotch to idle after starting on its own. I had to hold the throttle until it warmed up, unless it was a cold day. Then it would idle fine with no choke. Once the engine was warmed up, it held idle just fine.

Look at the throttle slide cut out number, does it match up? Mine didn't

What size needle/seat is in it?

Did you check float height adjustment?
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........

Last edited by xlint89; 01-21-2015 at 10:54 PM.