BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 06:28 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Big Bore Options?

I have heard everyone talking about the big bore upgrade. What all is needed for this upgrade? Just the (Kit) head, pistons, & cam or do you have to change the carburetor also? I have stripped out spark plug threads on my current head and was thinking of the upgrade if I have to by one anyway. Anyone done this and how much should I expect to gain from this. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Heavy Contributor

Hi Tybic,
I did my 58.5 Big bore kit myself. I think it's the biggest you can go without having the crank case machined. I'd never taken an engine apart, so if I can do it anyone can. I did so many upgrades at once that I can't tell you the difference the BBK will make, but more CC's = more HP. If you decide to go big, make sure you have a pro machine your cases for you. EDIT: You'll need to re-jet your carb..
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B

Last edited by wildbob; 07-14-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Lite Contributor

Where did you get your kit from? Do you have a link?
Old 07-16-2015, 09:37 AM

wildbob is correct the biggest bore you can go is 58.5 without machining the case. I wouldn't recommend going past 61mm bore on the stock case because the cylinder walls get way to thin, making the engine very unreliable. A head and cam combo will wake the buggy up. Once you do that then a big bore with a stroker crank it turns into a whole new buggy.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Lite Contributor

Is there anything I need to know about the different versions of the GY6 (old vs New) or will any 58.5mm head and cam fit when I go to ordering my kit. Bought my carbide used and I am guessing it is around a 2008 ASW carbide 7150 1500cc GY6 (not sure).
Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybic View Post
Is there anything I need to know about the different versions of the GY6 (old vs New) or will any 58.5mm head and cam fit when I go to ordering my kit. Bought my carbide used and I am guessing it is around a 2008 ASW carbide 7150 1500cc GY6 (not sure).
you shouldn't have any problems. since you are replacing the head I recommend a camshaft upgrade also.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Nice Thanks.

Plan is to do it.
I am thinking 58.5 with a A12 cam, do I need to rejet the carb or anything else?
I think the previous owner already gutted the exhaust.
Where to buy or not to buy any suggestions on that?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybic View Post
Nice Thanks.

Plan is to do it.
I am thinking 58.5 with a A12 cam, do I need to rejet the carb or anything else?
I think the previous owner already gutted the exhaust.
Where to buy or not to buy any suggestions on that?
form what ive seen, guys buy an entire kit from ebay that comes with a bigger valve head, which has bigger ports, and upgraded valve springs, a selection of a camshaft, and comes with the 58.5 piston, rings, and jug, and gaskets. So you get the entire kit.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:15 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOOTER-125C...701741&vxp=mtr

this is what I would recommend, you get ur choice for the 58.5 and you get your choice of camshaft. Also yes you are going to have to jet the carb, I would buy a pack of different size jets for tuning.