BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Lurker

Post backfire/spark in carb?

gy6 150cc, iv fixed many problems over the last couple days reading through all of the threads so thank yall for getting me this far, it seems im almost there but i think i have an issue with my float, my carbs been cleaned twice so i know thats not the problem, before i wasnt getting enough gas so i bent my float down a good ways, got a few good revs but flooded like crazy, took it back apart and bent it back up a little, itll run for 30 sec to 2min before shutting off abruptly, but theres also a back fire/spark in the carb (i have the air filter off) the back fire wants me to assume i need to ajust my float back up some more, but it shutting off after a min makes me want to think to bring it down?? when it is on it revs up very nicely

Last edited by L30N; 03-09-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Lurker

iv got my air filter upgraded to a spectre, upgraded my main jet to a 130, float seems fine, cleaned out my stock pilot jet again. still having problems with the back firing in the carb(out of time?), and doesnt want to idle unless iv got the throttle down a little ( throttle screw all the way in, do i need to upgrade my pilot jet?), also my air/gas screw doesnt make a difference whether i screw it all the way in or out( think something might be dirty going to clean it again) my silenoid is going bad so im going to replace it, my lights just quit working all together, havnt got a chance to run through the electrical diagram yet but any ideas what that might be?

plus side i did get to ride it for the first time about 20mph for 100yrds before my belt broke, im making progress but any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

What color is your spark?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Lurker

put a new spark plug in it before i gave it that short run and its black
Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
What color is your spark?
Leave the plug out grounded against the engine & turn the engine over-- is the spark blue-light blue-whiteish yellow?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Lurker

sorry misread the question, its a whiteish yellow, which assuming is not good enough, iv got a new battery and new spark plug already, have a new racing cdi and coil on the way, will that fix th spark?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hopefully yes that should fix the spark issue-assuming the coil was weak. The other thing that bothers me is the fact that you said your lights quit working, this could've just been from a failing battery. It's still possible you have a bad or failing stator.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Lurker

with the better spark would that correct my backfire in my carb? and the thing that confuses me about the lights is that before i was even able to get it running the lights were able to be cut on without the engine running, but it has come to my understanding that with an ac system the lights will only cut on while the engine is running(which i havnt tried), i read that you can tell which is an ac and dc by the wires coming out of the cdi, ac having 3wires from the 4prong and 2 from the 2prong, while dc having 3-4 from the 4 prong and only 1 from the 2prong, mine has the 3 and 2, so the new one i ordered was ac, i will try the lights with it running once i get my new belt, cdi, and coil either wed or thur
Old 03-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Lurker

ok well i got my new belt, coil, cdi, solenoid, and 12g rollers. my backfire seems to have stopped, have a good blue spark now, new solenoid fixed my hard starts. still has a pretty rough idle trying to warm up but once it gets warmed up it idles fine. cleaned my carb again but my air/gas screw still doesnt make a difference whether i take it out or screw it all the way in?? but at least iv finally got to drive it around! a new carb would probly fix all my existing issues except for the headlights. think the problem is partially a bad switch maybe, i connected the wires off the switch and one light comes on, ill keep playing with it tho
Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Administrator

A backfire from the carb is also a sign of a lean condition. There's a physical explanation for it but it takes a bit to type. Last time I had this, I had to adjust the pilot jet. This could also explain why your mixture screw is making no difference (i.e. cause it's already tapped out with everything it can give) What size pilot jet is in it now?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Lurker

Its the stock pilot jet, its not marked, looked through the manual and it doesnt specify. Im only getting acceleration through about half of my throttle, i dont know my exact rpms but they sound low, i top out about 20-25 mph. Have a new problem, gave it hell all day today, my last run it seemed to have lost some top speed but was still driving, cut it off to let my brother have a go and it wouldnt start, the starter is spinning (almost sounds like its spinning freely) and there is almost no pressure coming from the exaust. Im thinking iv either lost all compression and need to replace my rings or iv had a gear go out somewhere? any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Lurker

So did u ever find problem?, I know its 3 yrs later
2007 ssr 250cc buggy, green stickered , Ipt wheels , 23inch maxxis tires, rear adapter spacers, 4gal aluminum spun fuel tank, torque cam, dr pulley 23g sliders, red clutch springs, red main spring, fox front shocks, 4 led spot lights, modify radiator location, fan on mod, 8inch red puller fan, fire coil , cb radio/ pa system, custom exhaust, uniairfilter , 34 mm jetted carb 140main jet, custom intake manifold, royal purple oil & reverse box fluid, reinforced frame, and more...
Old 07-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Lite Contributor

Im curious too! I just fixed my 125 talon with new cdi and coil but get a small popping from carb!!