BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-16-2015, 06:32 PM
Lurker

Default how to know exhaust to manifold is tight?

Hey there, I just put a new muffler on my buggy, after installing it, I reach my hand down there while running and it feels like exhaust is blowing by the new gasket and studs I installed. Is this imagined or apparent? And how do you know if you've tightened the studs down enough to seal the muffler to the manifold? Here's a picture of the gasket and studs I used...and thanks.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:15 PM

You have a fan on your magneto blowing air through the black plastic shroud over the cylinder and head that exits around the exhaust manifold. That's most likely what you're feeling.

Exhaust leaks generally come with performance issues and sometimes with backfiring. How's your engine running?
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 09-16-2015, 11:30 PM
Lurker

Seems to be running fine, although I can't take it for a test ride yet because I'm waiting on a shifter pulley for forward and reverse. But it will start right up and idle.

Are there any tests that I could do to make sure the pipe is fully seated? Thank you btw for the tip on the magneto fan, I did not know that.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:06 AM
Power User

while cold, check it for looseness by trying to rotate it a little. When it comes to exhaust parts, I always go over and re-snug the bolts after a couple heat cycles.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Heavy Contributor

You can use a piece of fuel line, or something similar as a stethoscope. Just hold one end to your ear and move the other end around the flange.

A leak will have a clear and obvious pop sound.