BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Lurker

Default GY6 clutch question *Burning Man*

Hello everybody, I am happy to be part of this community now. Before last year I didn't even know what a GY6 engine was, but now I totally dig them.

My GY6 buggy is probably a little different than yours. I built this crazy vehicle, a.k.a. "an Art Car", for Burning Man last year, which is a really cool week long event out in the Nevada desert. The vehicle probably weighs about 600 or 700 lbs., including the 6 ft. diameter wheels which are about 65 pounds each. I used a completely stock 125cc GY6 engine out of a Italika scooter, which are made in Mexico I guess. I utilized a bunch of reduction sprockets (8 total) in order to move the massive wheels and weight of the vehicle. The speed limit is 5 mph around the whole event, so the vehicle would do about 10 mph at about 5000 engine RPMs. It worked great for the whole week except I think the clutch was slipping when I would accelerate too quickly.

Here's my questions-

--What happens when the clutch actually slips? When I would accelerate too quickly or overload the vehicle with weight the engine would make a clicking sound and jerk kind of hard, is that the clutch slipping?

--What can I do to combat this? Would a performance clutch, or a whole CVT upgrade set help, if so which clutch or CVT set would be the way to go?

Again the vehicle performed great except the clicking and jerking upon semi hard acceleration, which I'm pretty sure would be the clutch slipping. And if anything I would like the clutch to engage at the lowest RPM possible and as softly as possible without any slippage.

Thank you guys!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Lurker

Here are some more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Lurker

The GY6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

You need to pull the clutch drum and see if heat turned it blue, also look at the clutch pads. With what your using it for I don't think you have enough engine.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:41 PM

Check your drive gear teeth. Chain might be slipping upon heavy accel.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........