BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Lurker

Default Yerf scout smoke

I am curious how much smoke is acceptable? I am sure that is a broad question. I have this CUV scout I have been working on more with the drive train and all fluid changes and valves, belt, rollers etc. Runs great but smokes a little when it's starting off or under the most load or going uphill. Had it a month and have not added any oil. Once it's going does not really smoke and it's blue smoke. I am sure it's not going away and wonder if I should be pro active and replace rings or just drive it and see what happens?
Also, if replacing rings, does the cylinder need to be "honed" or something or can you just replace rings or piston or both?

pdubya in Darlington
Old 09-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Heavy Contributor

Oil can leak through the rings or valve guides. If you do a compression test and get the result then do the test again with a little oil in the cylinder, a higher second reading will tell you the rings are worn.

Others will advise you whether the cylinder needs to be replaced with the rings, but a visual inspection is required.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Supporting Vendor

If smoke is black the problem is a carb issue, if bluish white the rings are worn and will need replacement. 99% of the time only rings will need replacement. Some of the scouts used 57mm rings and some used 57.4 rings so you will have to check using a michrometer of calipers. You will also inspect the cylinder for abnormal wear such as scraping or gouging. If you can feel either with your finger the cylinder will need replacement.