BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 AM

Default redneck ramair!

I dont know if anyone else has tried this but here it goes. Ive got three buggys all with the engines behind the seats ofcourse well i was trying to figure out a cheap way to get more air to the engines and i come up with this idea. i went to my local lowes store and bought some of that flexible gutter down spout plastic and brought it home. by drilling some small holes in it and using some tiestraps i was able to mount it to the tube frame next to the seats and route it back to the engine head. Ive had this on my one buggy all summer and guess what, it worked like a charm! ive had alot of feed back from the guys around here who said they where gonna try it out themselves, so i just thought id share this "redneck ramair" idea with my buddies on the forum too! keepem rollin bear
Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Lite Contributor

Can you post some picts please. I've thought about doing this just couldn't come up with a good way to go about it. Looks like I've waited till summer is over to try but I guess better late than never.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Lurker

Haven't they proven "ram" air to be a marketing ploy? Most of the power gains in automotive uses was from the colder air from outside the engine compartment. At normal automotive speeds it doesn't work as a "Ram." I remember reading that the point where it begins to gain effect is in the 130 mph range. Buggies will never see enough speed for ram air to work. But some good cold fresh air will and it will add some style points.

http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/RamAirMyth.pdf

There are many other similar sites to the link if anyone wants to do some digging.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Default ok by me

Well guys im not saying this is a major break thru, but all i know is since ive done this to my daughters little 110 buggy, it seems to be running cooler longer when we are on some all day outtings!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Common sense or as I call it uncommon sense says it works.Air surrounding a hot engine = hot air. Air surrounding something that ain't hot = cooler air.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Contributor

I believe that MCN was thinking intake air instead of cooling air. I have been working with Air Cooled VWs for about 30 years and putting a scoop in the air whether it is for an oil cooler or for the engine can really help, especially as the speed increases. Also a side benefit is that you are probably pulling in cleaner air, so less dust gets to the engine.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Lurker

Yup I was talking intake air not cooling air. If the OP was talking about just ducting fresh air around the air dam of a seat then it sounds like a winning idea to me.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Default bonus!!!

Just 2 backup what tmt2 said, since putting this on her buggy, at the end of a day of riding the top half of here engine is blown clean of most all dust n dirt! nothing but a little bit of mud splatter!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Lurker

the ram air would benefit from an ice box, yet cooling your air with ice brings moisture in and some people would argue about moisture but your burning it up in combustion. cooler air is what you want out of a ram air but it wont give you more air. a small engine super charger and efi conversion would be ideal. but expence and tinker time are an issue of how much time do you wanna spend not playing?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpieface View Post
the ram air would benefit from an ice box, yet cooling your air with ice brings moisture in and some people would argue about moisture but your burning it up in combustion. cooler air is what you want out of a ram air but it wont give you more air. a small engine super charger and efi conversion would be ideal. but expence and tinker time are an issue of how much time do you wanna spend not playing?
A little moisture may not be so bad. It helps cool; as you said, but there are some interesting benefits to moisture in the combustion chamber. Steam Clean. Here is a VERY interesting and thought provoking article. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmQ&cad=rja

Last edited by SLESTAK75; 12-22-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpieface View Post
A little moisture may not be so bad. It helps cool; as you said. Here is a VERY interesting article. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmQ&cad=rja