BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Lurker

Default free horsepower?? well almost free

a trick that i have been using for years is to remove the base gasket on the cylinder. this raises compression and increases power. just use honda bond in place of the gasket. or use loctite 518.

this changes the squish band also rampimg the air fuel mixture. results are simillar to milling the head .025, also the best part is this trick is fully reversable. just remember to re jet.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator

What about the deck height at that point?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Lurker

it depends on your gasket to begin with.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

Default Horse Power

It will depend on what the stock deck height is. When shaving the head you do not change deck height. Where you run into problrms is when you change out cylinders, pistons, or add a stroker crank.Some engines will have stock .125 deck height however I have run into some with only .035. You have many differant manufacturers of engines and components comming out of China. Deck height should always be checked. With that being said, by eliminating the gasket you will raise the compression ratio, but unless you modify a number of other areas the differance will be minimal. TOM
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Lurker

you might want to read this too. about watercooling vs air cooled.

http://www.liquidcooledairpower.com/lc-topendheat.shtml
Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
It will depend on what the stock deck height is. When shaving the head you do not change deck height. Where you run into problrms is when you change out cylinders, pistons, or add a stroker crank.Some engines will have stock .125 deck height however I have run into some with only .035. You have many differant manufacturers of engines and components comming out of China. Deck height should always be checked. With that being said, by eliminating the gasket you will raise the compression ratio, but unless you modify a number of other areas the differance will be minimal. TOM
very true, there are atleast 20 engine cases that i have right now that are different. i do modify my heads and valvetrain.
i run a fully ported head with a custom grind cam, titanium retainers, race valve springs high tension. also stainless steel valves, and many other components that improve power. on my personal bikes anyway. when friends come over to the garage and ant to save money we take out the base gasket and do some porting, i have gained 10mph+ gps confirmed on a scooter.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

That thread had some good info in it but I don't totally agree with it entirely. First aluminum used in aircraft wheather on the skin or engine is a totally differant makeup. Aircraft grade aluminum is far more expensive than the everyday aluminum we would be using, and for good reason. A T6 hardened aluminum is of aircraft grade also used in the firearm industry. The stock heads on our buggies do not consist of T6 aircraft grade aluminum, however we do not reach heat ranges or pressures as with aircraft. Now on the market their are good cast heads and bad cast heads. This is due to the virgin materials and casting processes used in manufacturing. I currently have 2 aluminum heads off a 250 cc which I give to a neighbor to weld the intake ports for more ramp. One welded just fine however the other just destroyed it self when attempting to weld. The good head was off my Challenger the bad head was an aftermarket head picked up for trial and error. Needless to say I will not be purchasing any more of these which were tempting due to their price. I have seen some who had removed the plastic cowling off their GY6 engines. Air cooled engines are designed to run much hotter. If ridding my buggy hard I always let it idle for a short period before shutting down. And never ever wash a hot engine. This is true for air or water cooled. TOM
Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Contributor

Did you do a compression test before and after removing the base gasket?