BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Lite Contributor

Default I think I need a top end....

So I picked up this Kandi 150cc spyder cheap. broken belt and sat outside. I took it all apart and painted it, all new bearings,etc. Guy cut the exhaust pipe to remove it so he could get the belt cover off - ?!?! Welded that back up.

I fired it up and talk about a smoke fest!! Holy cow!
I think I need a new top end kit. Question - where can I get one that fits a 1P57QMJ motor? I am not looking to go big bore where I need to machine the case. Otherwise I am willing to go a little bigger if it will fit.

Here is a video of the smoke:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7K...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Heavy Contributor

You can get a 155cc kit, with no mod to case needed. What I got on mine. Ebay.. amazon.. we have sponsors here on website that think might have better quality kits.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a plan. Now to figure out all the nuances of bolt patterns on the 1PJ motor and what will fit.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

You have to be careful. Many of the engines with the P suffix are of a different series, the top end has a different stud pattern. Pull the valve cover and measure two studs diagonally, center to center to see weather they measure 3" or 3 1/8". If 3" you have the common GY6 if 3 1/8" there are no options other than stock.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
You have to be careful. Many of the engines with the P suffix are of a different series, the top end has a different stud pattern. Pull the valve cover and measure two studs diagonally, center to center to see weather they measure 3" or 3 1/8". If 3" you have the common GY6 if 3 1/8" there are no options other than stock.
Thanks! That is the guidance I was looking for! I will do that tonight. So if it is three then I can get any 58.5 top end kit? Seems like ebay has a ton of options, but I always wonder if the seller truly knows what fits and what does not....
Are there any other differences? I read about head height?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

The series B uses a taller head, the A series is the common one used in buggies and scooters. Many selling on e-bay are in the business of selling parts. Choose someone who actually repairs and rides these things. As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".Some of these Chinese manufactures use good quality standards but many do not. Cheap usually means a cheap product such as type of metal or inferior techniques to manufacture.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
The series B uses a taller head, the A series is the common one used in buggies and scooters. Many selling on e-bay are in the business of selling parts. Choose someone who actually repairs and rides these things. As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".Some of these Chinese manufactures use good quality standards but many do not. Cheap usually means a cheap product such as type of metal or inferior techniques to manufacture.
So I should bank on series A? I also agree on the old saying. I was just bringing up ebay as an example of the large amount of options available. On a side note, I did buy a CVT cover gasket from a reputable vendor that I asked ahead of time on whether I had a long or short case. I provided measurements and pictures they requested and they stated I had the long case. So I ordered it - and it did not fit - turns out I had a short case. They said I could return it - yeah right pay $5-8 to return a $4 gasket.....
So can anyone list some vendors that they have had great experience with?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Supporting Vendor

I keep many parts in stock, if not can get then in a day or two. You can give me a call 662-301-1563
Old 04-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Lite Contributor

Looks like I am 3" diagonally! Whew!

So I guess I have options now to get a 58.5mm kit.

First thing is to verify that everything else on the buggy works. I need to bolt a seat in and go for a spin. I have not tested the CVT since putting in new springs, belt, etc. and I don't know if the transmission works!

Sycarms - can you give me some info on what you have?

Thanks,
Joe