BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Lite Contributor

Default My bro-in-law bought a non-running Carbide 150cc

The people we picked it up from says that they think it is the starter. It may be, but I have a question about the key ignition switch. Does it work like a car? Do you turn it all the way right, which would get the starter cranking, then once it started you release the key and it would sort of spring back to the "On" position?

I have a Spiderbox with just a push button so I don't have anything to compare this one to.

Also, when it is in neutral if feels like it is in gear when you push it as it is more difficult push than you would think. It also "sounds" "like it is gear when you push it". Does it have a safety that will not let it start if it is in gear?

I told him I would get this running for him and we bought it for a good price for a non running machine.

Any help is great appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM

yes I have 2 diff. kind of carts and they both spring back to run position when you turn the key loose.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Thank you Z-man.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

Mine is the same. My switch got corroded inside and i had to tear it apart and clean the contacts ( P I T A ) I hot wired mine until I fixed the switch. You may try that. It may start right up.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Lite Contributor

The switch is definitely bad. It does not return to a "on" position after cranking. It just stays in the cranking position then you can turn it to off. I hope that makes sense.

After some trouble shooting I found that the solenoid was bad. the PO said he ran it with the starter running with the engine running so I figured on that being bad too. So I drove to BMI today and got a solenoid and starter. It cranks now! I didn't have a proper plug to install but I did have one to plug into the wire and it has spark! The new switch from SYC Motorsports (Thanks Tom!)should be here tomorrow and I will grab a plug to put in. It should run tomorrow.

It'll be done just in time for the weekend!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Heavy Contributor

Hopefully they took better care of the rest of it.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Lite Contributor

I am hoping the same. The buggy itself is not really beat up. Some cranking on the plastic fenders but other than that it looks pretty good. They rode it but it doesn't look like it was rode really hard. I'll be putting a new plug in it so I will run it through some cycles to see how the tune is, then adjust as needed.

I'll post some pictures soon.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Lite Contributor

It's going to need tires... Anyone know a good place to get tires? It needs 21x10-10 and 19x7-8. Plenty on Ebay. Just wondering if there are some vendors that support buggymasters that have them?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody89 View Post
It's going to need tires... Anyone know a good place to get tires? It needs 21x10-10 and 19x7-8. Plenty on Ebay. Just wondering if there are some vendors that support buggymasters that have them?
I know right? I can put tires on my Yukon XL and it only costs a little more than putting tires on these buggies.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Lite Contributor

Removed and drained gas tank.
Removed and cleaned petcock.
Hooked gas tank back up. Didn't start without carb cleaner.
Removed and cleaned carb.
Replaced.
Started, Idled would handle higher throttle if....
It wasn't stuck in reverse and want to take off. Couldn't put in forward or neutral with the shifter.

I gotta go check that out in a minute.
What do you think? Broken cable or just unhooked?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Lite Contributor

It wasn't either of those. It was the plastic piece that fits on the splined shaft coming out of the transmission. It is broke.

I did put it in forward by hand and drove the buggy. Drives nice! Ran great. One little minor piece to fix.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Heavy Contributor

I was going to point you toward that piece. Mine has less than 50 miles on it and that part is stripped out on mine. I actually cut a keyway in the shaft and rigged it up with a key to work. Why would anyone put a plastic shifter on a metal shaft. For now you could just lock some vice grips onto the shaft.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Heavy Contributor

Glad you got her running.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Lite Contributor

Me too Slestak! My brother in law is coming tomorrow and bringing my nephew and we are going to do a little riding. It is really wet here. We got around 3" of rain this week. So, we will have to stay out of my yard but we can ride on field edges and creek edges that have grass.

I thought about putting a band clamp on the shaft and then put vise grips on the that. I really don't want to mess up those splines.

I really need to check the plug after he rides it a little and make sure it's not running too hot.

I will get some pics and post them tomorrow.