BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Lurker

Default 34910 Scout

I have the opportunity to purchase this Scout I was told to take it and see if I could get it to run and if I wanted I could have it for $500.00. He took it as partial payment from someone.It would run but no power or speed he has been working on it try and get it to run. First thing I found was he had installed a new fuel filter (Backwards) I reverse it and then it would run not well enough yet. So I through a new NGK plug in it and found that the air cleaner was I won't even go there. I did take it out and cleaned it and dried it. I believe that it is passable for the time being. If i get it running I may spend the $30.00 for a new one. Now it does run a little better than when I started but still no speed to speak of. I'm not looking to do any racing just looking for something to get my old bones down to the water to do some fishing. The biggest problem now is it back fires and spits and sputters. Oh and he did by pass the starting circuit on the key switch and put a push button in. If I can find a wiring diagram I'll try to redo it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
jonelsr
Old 08-20-2013, 08:04 PM

Work on getting the engine running in top form, then look at the CVT. The CVT relies on the engine to make the correct speed and torque for it to properly engage and disengage. I would check the valve clearances next, and check the intake boot for cracks, both are known issues with that style engine. While you are there, make sure to clean the carb THOROUGHLY, paying attention to the pilot jet and circuit.

You may need to improvise if the air cleaner is that bad off, disconnect it and see if it improves any. If it is decent shape, and it is the model I am thinking, then it isn't a bad price, but about par for a non running utility vehicle.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'