BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Lurker

Default Hammerhead 80t / terminator 212 motor - torque converter question

Hi. I'm a newbie. Recently bought my kids a used hammerhead kart which has a different motor installed. Motor, torque converter,etc all new.

A few weeks go by and the kids love it.

Yesterday the bolt holding the torque converter on came out. I reinstalled everything and they were on their way again. Came out again. Literally found each piece to the torque converter in the yard. The covers, 2 springs, converter internals all came apart. Found all the pieces.

My guess is the boltwas too short. I got a longer by today and put it all together. It's running again.

Question- are there torque specs for tightening the bolt? It was nice n snug and now the converter "cover" is jingling. Not tight enough? Or is this because it's not under load?

Your help is greatly appreciated
Old 10-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Contributor

Sounds like the bolts are a tad bit too long and aren't able to actually clamp the cover down.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Power User

could be a couple of things. first like scjeep pointed out, bolt might be bottoming out and not putting enough clamp on the convertor. If it's a harbor freight engine, the shafts are shorter than what the convertors were originally designed for and it might be deflecting a bit under load leading the bolt to loosen up. do you have any pictures of the buggy?