BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Contributor

Default Burnt cdi, now buggy wont turn over

So i purchased a performance cdi fromScooter-Atvparts on ebay. It started right up and ran for a good 15 or so minutes. so i shut it down and let it sit while i worked on something else. Well i went back and tried to crank it, but it would not crank. I tried maybe 5 or more times and still nothing. So i threw my old cdi in and still nothing. Mind you i left the new cdi mounted in the strap, so i just plugged the sucker back up and tried it again. Nothing! So i let it sit and went on about my business. A little while later, i smell a burning smell coming from the vents, so i go down to the garage and see smoke in the garage. I thought it was the new heat pump/ac unit so i shut it off and opened the garage. Needless to say i go back to the buggy and come to find out that the cdi had burnt through the back casing. Not sure what burnt up in there or why. All i know now is even with my stock cdi in, i still cant get the buggy to fire off. I bought a new rectifier and solenoid and am waiting on them to arrive. The worst part about the cdi is that it is not like the one pictured. The one i received resembles more of an ac cdi and is pink. The one they advertise is orange and is wider, like the dc cdi. Well i contacted them and needless to say they act like its some other problem and not their cheap cdi. Last message i received from them was "What do you expect us to do about it?". So i responded back, "I dunno, maybe stand behind your product, replace it, and contact your chinese distributor about the piece of junk which does not match the photo you are using in your ad!". anyways, i feel like i just wasted $18 and then $15 more on the pieces i hope will fix it. Any thoughts what the burnt cdi might have damaged?

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Contributor

May have to try a new coil as this may have screwed my coil up also.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Contributor

Did u feel ur harness when u discovered it was burning? I had a cdi left over from a hammerhead 150 it was also a dc powered unit. I plugged it up and experienced the exact same problem u did but. I did catch it in time not to damage anything else. The harness was warm to the touch. Hopefully u didn't burn ur harness up
Old 07-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Heavy Contributor

Check ur 15amp inline fuse.... if you dont have one add one it may prevent things from burning up next time. Idk..... also it does sound like you got the wrong cdi.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Contributor

Well it wasnt the fuse as i checked it and even replaced it. I have a new rectifier, solenoid, and coil coming to aid in the process. Sooooooo tired of spending money! May just ride the SH** out of the 250 i pick up in a trade this weekend if all holds up.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Contributor

Alright so i swapped out the coil, rectifier, and solenoid. No luck. I seem to be getting spark, but not sure how good it is. The plug is wet so its getting. Totally lost. Someone cime i.. anyway the stator or something else could have gotten screwed up when the cdi burnt up?

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Contributor

That sucks, sorry to hear about your electrical problem. I would trace the wires from the cdi to each component and look for heat damage. Also make sure you ground is solid. If you are getting spark you may have fouled the plug with the previous attempts to start it. Remove the plug and put a couple of drops of oil in the hole to get compression from the gas washing the cylinder down.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Contributor

When you say to put the oil in the cylinder, do i need to put the plug back in or am i trying to shoot the excess gas out of the valves and plug hole? I havent had any luck with all of the cheap parts i bought to try and replace. I bought a cheap stator and starter ad a precaution. Only thing left is the battery after that. Still kind of stumped.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Heavy Contributor

Man im also sorry about ur electrical burning up and smoking. I would change out the harnesses before anything. Or your going to burn out ur new parts ur replacing, and sparkplug. Just my thought. I kniw you dont want to hear that. But the electrical burning and smoking out ur garrage has me worried. Just change it out... Eddie.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Contributor

Where can i get a harness cheap and fast?

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

Im hoping you can find what wires got burnt and grounding out so you can replace just that. It be easier on the pocket.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

Try these places... any trusted dealers here. Buggypartsnw. Syc. Kartmart. **********.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Contributor

I found this on gy6racingteam. Hope this helps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOOTER-GY6-...#ht_1153wt_807

You have to pick from a 6 or 8 pole stator. Both our buggys have 6 pole stators.

Last edited by Johnny 5; 07-18-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Contributor

Thank you sir! i will be going that route as last possible option. Any easy way to lock the flywheel in place to remove the stator nut?

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Contributor

Well here is the latest. I have replaced every electrical part on my buggy on the read end. Stator, starter, battery, new cdi coming, rectifier, starter solenoid, coil, etc. I still cannot get the damn thing to fire off. My last resort is to rip the head back off and make sure any gas that may have filled the cylinder is gone and start fresh. I am stumped. Even with a brand new battery, i am having issues where when i turn the ignition key, it takes a second and dims the speedo before it will start to crank. I stripped back some of the tape around the harness and all seemed good. Even ohmed out some of the main wires to make sure they were still good.

Oddly enough before the cdi burnt up, i put a 26mm carb and A13 cam in. It ran fine before the cdi burned. Really just a little lost at this point.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 AM
Contributor

Issue is fixed. Turned out to be a huge crack in the intake manifold. I guess after the cdi caught fire i was just to stuck on the electrical issue, seeings as it ran fine from the get go.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 PM

That will make it highly difficult to run, I'm happy to see it sorted, as I'm sure you are too.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Contributor

Yes i am. Just disgusted i went through all this hassle because of the burnt up cdi. Who would have thought that the manifold went bad when the cdi burnt.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM

It would seem very unlikely they would be related, but who knows, could have been borderline cracked and something or someone might have bumped it at some point and finished it off. Either way, happy riding

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'