BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

Arrow Replaced my starter switch

Hey everyone! Recently, I replaced my green flip switch on my spiderbox with this:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007QA...9155108&sr=8-2

I tried starting it today (albeit, after a 4 degree night and it being 15 outside) and it wouldn't turn over. There was gas in the line, so it ain't that. For those that don't have a spiderbox, there are two switches required to start the kart. A green flip switch "prepares" the system (idk how to put it) and a red momentary button is held until It starts. So, I figure with my on/off key switch, it would act the same as the green one? Shouldn't it? Another concern of mine was that the terminals on the key switch are smaller than those on the green one. Anyone know how much current goes through there?
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

Found out the limit for it is 1A, but someone said they used the switch in an RV circuit, the starter switch doesn't receive that much current, does it?
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Heavy Contributor

Out of curiosity, does the starter switch let ALL the current that goes to the starter through itself? Or does it just let the starter relay do its thing. Idk what's up with this, pls help

I also don't know what purpose the green switch serves. I know HOW AN WHY you need it, but what does it do? Thnx
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

The toggle or key switch turns on power to the ignition and momentary start switch. Yes the starter will draw more than 1 amp. probably somewhere around 10 amps. I have never personally checked it but the battery is anywhere from 7-10 amps. But the draw will be on the solenoid and not the switch. All the switch is doing is supplying power to close the solenoid so that the current an pass through to the starter.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
The toggle or key switch turns on power to the ignition and momentary start switch. Yes the starter will draw more than 1 amp. probably somewhere around 10 amps. I have never personally checked it but the battery is anywhere from 7-10 amps. But the draw will be on the solenoid and not the switch. All the switch is doing is supplying power to close the solenoid so that the current an pass through to the starter.

LOL, I didn't know the parts involved, but that's what i figured would happen. I was like "ok so the switch enables another thing to draw current". I thought it would be OK because the green switch's terminal is about as small as the key. I think I'll get a large switch and rethink this.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

I would recheck your wiring again using a test light or volt meter. One other thing I just remembered is when I used the rear yerf carrier for my test stand all the wiring was included. If I recall and maybe someone else can chime in on this but I believe either the on off or start switch on the yerf is wired to complete ground instead of completing the hot. I vaguely remember it not wanting to turn over after I wired the switches in, it was wired differently from other buggies.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Heavy Contributor

Problem fixed. For some strange reason, the kart will start when the switch is in pos. 1, what I thought was the off position, and kills/doesn't start in pos. 2. Pos1 is labeled red and Pos2 is labeled green. LOL. I might do a little repainting just for my own OCD purposes...
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

Sounds like you have the switch wired backwards. Try reversing wires on terminals. Remember red means stop(kill) where green means go(start).
Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Heavy Contributor

I was thinking that all it did was complete the circuit to start it, but I forgot that it also kills the engine :big grin:

I'll work on that later... lol.

And I know what red and green mean, but the wires were brown and green, and I extended them with some speaker wire I had that was slightly thicker gauge. I thought it didn't matter, but I forgot it acted as a kill switch, too.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!

Last edited by TheFauxFox; 01-20-2014 at 07:35 PM.