BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Lurker

Default Big Idea for my ASW 150cc

My son and I race our ASW150cc buggy on a dirt oval track here in NC.
The track is a semi banked clay oval about 1/4 mile long.

I am thinking about bypassing the transmission and CVT, in an effort to free up HP/TQ.

I am considering flipping the axle and aligning the sprocket with the output shaft of the engine and installing a traditional go kart racing clutch. then connecting the chain direct from the engine to the sprocket, the way racing karts are setup.

Anybody done this?
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Duke
10 wins in 2013
Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 PM

welcome duke, I"m sure someone here can help you but not me on that subject. lol
Old 03-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman007007 View Post
welcome duke, I"m sure someone here can help you but not me on that subject. lol
Thanks for the welcome, I have been lurking around the forums for sometime now just not a big poster, lol.
10 wins in 2013
Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 PM

You actually lost me for a minute, but I found my way back, lol. Honestly, I think it's a bad idea, not to mention, the output shaft for the GY6 style engines are made to accept the CVT. I have never heard of anyone wanting to do what you suggested.

May I ask why you think a cent clutch would be better than the CVT? Are you looking for better take off, top speed?

A mid level racing clutch would set you back more than what a properly tuned CVT with performance mods would run. A buddy of mine showed me what they run on their flatty's, and my jaw hit the floor. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice clutch, but it's still a clutch, and still a wear item.

I never got inot the CVT's on our buggies, and opted for an engine swap on my yerf in favor of a gearbox engine, but since I purchased rich1's Dazon, I kinda like the CVT. Had I known what they were capable of, I might have just went all out on the GY6 instead. Then again, maybe not.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

horrible idea!!!!!!!!!!
#1 even if you were able to mate the clutch to the crankshaft, the crank shaft would never take the stress of driving the axle.
#2 the oil seal would give away as soon as the crankshaft started tweaking.
#3 the cvt system is far more superior to a centrifugal clutch.
#4 not enough HP to turn a 400+lb buggy directly from the crankshaft to the axle. if it did roll you would be going far slower.
what makes the 8hp gy6 so efficient is the combo of the cvt and the final transmission, you'd be bypassing both.

there are far more worthwhile ways to spend the money to hop up your existing cvt/motor.
IMO

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
You actually lost me for a minute, but I found my way back, lol. Honestly, I think it's a bad idea, not to mention, the output shaft for the GY6 style engines are made to accept the CVT. I have never heard of anyone wanting to do what you suggested.

May I ask why you think a cent clutch would be better than the CVT? Are you looking for better take off, top speed?

A mid level racing clutch would set you back more than what a properly tuned CVT with performance mods would run. A buddy of mine showed me what they run on their flatty's, and my jaw hit the floor. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice clutch, but it's still a clutch, and still a wear item.

I never got inot the CVT's on our buggies, and opted for an engine swap on my yerf in favor of a gearbox engine, but since I purchased rich1's Dazon, I kinda like the CVT. Had I known what they were capable of, I might have just went all out on the GY6 instead. Then again, maybe not.
I was considering the centrifugal clutch option as way to free up hp, i figured by eliminating the CVT-transmission gears from the equation i could have less hp reduction and free up hp by reducing rotating weight on the crankshaft.

I am not concerned about having reverse, but I would be concerned with tearing up the crankshaft!

Thanks for all the input!
10 wins in 2013
Old 03-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Heavy Contributor

I had considered something like this several times for the same reasons as yours. My approach was to use cogged gears in place of the variator and clutch pulley and incorporate a toothed belt, basically a belt drive system. I figured this way would allow the use of a OEM style clutch, keep strain off the crank bearings and retain the transmission for gear ratio options. It's one of those rainy day ideas that never materialized but I think it could work if the motor afforded enough torque.
It would mean the motor would be suited for one purpose only, Flat tracking! and that's not a bad thing!
We run on a 1/10 mile banked short track that is great for the 150's. This track would be compared to yours as Bristol is to Talladega.
I'm located in RTP area and if possible, would love to come see what you guys are doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new 029.jpg (95.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:28 PM

Default ?????

I dont get it guy's! if you want a "dirt racing kart" why not just get one? instead of investing so much time and money in a project, like this that could backfire on you! and leave you with a busted buggy. IMO these machines where made for wood's and trails, not "flat tracking". I live in an area with lots of dirt kart tracks and those machines are posted for sale all over CL & ebay and the prices are comparable to our buggys! not ripping on ya, just wondering why???
Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 PM

I have to agree with bear on this one. I know a few kart racers, and they all run the smallest, lightest chromo flat frames available for the dirt. I could have picked a slightly used one for $250 complete w/o engine, which I should have, in hindsight. I like the innovation idea, but the truth is, the CVT is still the way to go for max speed and launch. Like JD said, the 8hp the GY6 puts out is not enough to really race with, although it spins a lot faster than an industrial engine.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
I had considered something like this several times for the same reasons as yours. My approach was to use cogged gears in place of the variator and clutch pulley and incorporate a toothed belt, basically a belt drive system. I figured this way would allow the use of a OEM style clutch, keep strain off the crank bearings and retain the transmission for gear ratio options. It's one of those rainy day ideas that never materialized but I think it could work if the motor afforded enough torque.
It would mean the motor would be suited for one purpose only, Flat tracking! and that's not a bad thing!
We run on a 1/10 mile banked short track that is great for the 150's. This track would be compared to yours as Bristol is to Talladega.
I'm located in RTP area and if possible, would love to come see what you guys are doing.
That sounds similar in concept, we only RACE the kart so not worried about climbing or anything like that.
We have an amazing facility down here in Fayetteville, Rockfish-Motorsports. We have two divisions based on age for the 150cc buggies. Tons of fun and very competitive racing.
But I did just find a gear change option which I assume is for the transmission? We cannot alter the sprocket so we have to change gears with tire size, or perhaps the transmission.
PM me if you want details on the track, or look it up at www.rockfish-motorsports.com
10 wins in 2013
Old 03-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Lurker

[QUOTE=bear;40302]I dont get it guy's! if you want a "dirt racing kart" why not just get one? instead of investing so much time and money in a project, like this that could backfire on you! and leave you with a busted buggy. IMO these machines where made for wood's and trails, not "flat tracking". I live in an area with lots of dirt kart tracks and those machines are posted for sale all over CL & ebay and the prices are comparable to our buggys! not ripping on ya, just wondering why???[/QUOTE

I understand, and agree. We are going to great lengths to create a racing kart that already exists and is very well refined. BUT, they didn't get that way without innovation and experimentation. We have found a great family place to race the buggy and everyone has great fun. The track owner decided to go with the buggy as he felt it offered a new and unexplored territory for racing.
Not to mention all in all fairly cheap on replacement parts and availability.

For the last two years they have remained bone stock, and he only allowed suspension mods, this year we can mod the motor and anything we want except change the sprocket tooth count. I know we can drop on a big bore kit and all the other stuff, BUT, that is what everyone else will do.......I want to beat everyone else....LOL
10 wins in 2013
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I dont get it guy's! if you want a "dirt racing kart" why not just get one? instead of investing so much time and money in a project, like this that could backfire on you! and leave you with a busted buggy. IMO these machines where made for wood's and trails, not "flat tracking". I live in an area with lots of dirt kart tracks and those machines are posted for sale all over CL & ebay and the prices are comparable to our buggys! not ripping on ya, just wondering why???
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
BTW, cool looking track! Is it open to the public? I would like to run it sometime!
10 wins in 2013
Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 PM

Oh I get it now! you're a "mad" scientist & you're looking for your own personal "Frankenstien Monster" I can dig that!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

[QUOTE=dukesracin;40314]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I dont get it guy's! if you want a "dirt racing kart" why not just get one? instead of investing so much time and money in a project, like this that could backfire on you! and leave you with a busted buggy. IMO these machines where made for wood's and trails, not "flat tracking". I live in an area with lots of dirt kart tracks and those machines are posted for sale all over CL & ebay and the prices are comparable to our buggys! not ripping on ya, just wondering why???[/QUOTE

I understand, and agree. We are going to great lengths to create a racing kart that already exists and is very well refined. BUT, they didn't get that way without innovation and experimentation. We have found a great family place to race the buggy and everyone has great fun. The track owner decided to go with the buggy as he felt it offered a new and unexplored territory for racing.
Not to mention all in all fairly cheap on replacement parts and availability.

For the last two years they have remained bone stock, and he only allowed suspension mods, this year we can mod the motor and anything we want except change the sprocket tooth count. I know we can drop on a big bore kit and all the other stuff, BUT, that is what everyone else will do.......I want to beat everyone else....LOL

i get it....................the racer's edge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 282125_152307118180791_4402489_n.jpg (64.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 547246_317825188295649_184384800_n.jpg (34.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 206067_334111866666981_1799790882_n.jpg (28.5 KB, 3 views)

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 03-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Lurker

[QUOTE=JERSEYDEVIL;40332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesracin View Post

Yes sir!
10 wins in 2013
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Lurker

[QUOTE=JERSEYDEVIL;40332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesracin View Post

This is my hot rod, sitting out this year and focusing on go karts with the boy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.3 KB, 8 views)
10 wins in 2013