BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Lurker

Default Got Problems ... bout to use a 1/4 stick with a short fuse to fix em.

I just got a spiderbox 150 that doesn't run. Previous owner said the engine was new...and it looks like the carb is too (spotless, new diaphragm, etc). I get the appropriate readings from the two single bullet connections from motor (according to the manual), and I have good compression. So here's the problems : 1) start button doesn't work, but does crank off solenoid; 2) wiring is a freakin nightmare (should I just order a new engine harness?); 3) there's battery drain, but I can't figure out from where (previous owner tried to wire up the new motor on his own ... no wires are the color they're supposed to be from the manual); 4)when it decides to run (when solenoid is jumped) it idles erratically, and just dies when I give it any gas at all. Here's some pics ... I reall hope someone can explain in laymen's terms how to get this POS running before Christmas. I'm a-ok when it comes to lawnmowers and 2 cycle engines ... but this thing is irking me to no end. Thanks in advance guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131216_121546.jpg (93.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131216_121558.jpg (99.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131216_121609.jpg (94.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131216_121655.jpg (91.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Ok, lets start with the simplest thing. For the start button, you do know you have to have the brake pedal depressed for it to turn over? It's a factory safety thing. You may have a failed start switch, but check this first.

Second, you mentioned a manual. Assuming you have a wiring diagram from a/the manual as well. This will make sorting the electrical much easier. In simplest terms, I try to match the wire color code at the plug with the diagram when rewiring vehicles. Most times if you or someone else has to diag something, they won't need to look further than right at the plug to match color codes.

Third, do you know what happened to the previous engine? This could play into why it runs poorly, or may not mean anything at all. Make sure you have adequate fuel flow, and there isn't any trash in the tank or the inline filter. Even though the carb looks new, take it apart and make sure the pilot jet is not clogged. The hole is very small, and easily blocked with the smallest particle of junk. Then look at the plug and coil and make sure you have adequate spark, nice thick blue spark is needed. Report back anything you find, or more questions. Start with the wiring, then check for fuel and spark.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Lurker

I noticed the airbox is not attached to the carb. Does it need to be connected to make it run properly? I had a scooter that did not like to run without the filter installed.