BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Default Signal wire ? For trail tech?

for you trail tech guys where do u purchase the signal wire to extend on the trail tech to get a rpm reading? Tried looking on home depot website doesn't look like they carry it and tried looking on ebay?

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Power User

trail tech. they have long leads and extensions. give them a call first and they'll tell you if you can extend it with common stranded wire.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Supporting Vendor

The signal wire is just a stiff bell wire used on phone boxes and thermostats for the home. Any hardware or home store should have this wire. It will come cased with multiple wires. Just cut casing and pull out a strand. It has to be the stiff wire so as to wrap the coil lead wire.

Last edited by SYCARMS; 12-19-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-2014, 06:26 PM

I decided to just order the wire in a full length that I needed, 8.3 feet, so I can wire it straight to the coil power lead rather then looping it around the coil wire.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 12-19-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansracerocket View Post
I decided to just order the wire in a full length that I needed, 8.3 feet, so I can wire it straight to the coil power lead rather then looping it around the coil wire.
I was wondering what all this wire wrapping stuff was about. The tach pickup connects to the trigger wire (positive) at the coil. Make a pigtail of a couple of spade connectors and that's it. You can order lengths of 20 g stranded wire off e-bay in many colors to use for harness extensions.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
I was wondering what all this wire wrapping stuff was about. The tach pickup connects to the trigger wire (positive) at the coil. Make a pigtail of a couple of spade connectors and that's it. You can order lengths of 20 g stranded wire off e-bay in many colors to use for harness extensions.
do u have a pic of how u have it all connected ?, I was just going to cut back a little bit of the wire wrap it around the connecter then slide the stator connector right over it so its nice and tight. I wish u where closer I would pay you to have you wire my hammerhead. I can wire but I mean I cant do an entire engine harness like you did on the yerf.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
I have 3 trail techs and all come with the stiff bell wire with instructions telling you to wrap the wire around the coil wire 5-10 times which picks up the signal for the tachometer.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
I have 3 trail techs and all come with the stiff bell wire with instructions telling you to wrap the wire around the coil wire 5-10 times which picks up the signal for the tachometer.

Kind of interesting, i wonder if they've changed what they're using, mine came with stranded. I have to use a couple small zip ties around the wrapped wires to keep them from coming loose.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Supporting Vendor

All wires are stranded with water tight snap fit plugs except for the tach wire which is a stiff solid bell wire. They say you can run the wire to terminal on coil or for better accuracy wrap 5-10 times around the coil lead wire. The last one I purchased was last year for my 250 Joyner.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:56 AM
Heavy Contributor

I can see where the wrap method would give a more accurate reading. but I wondered just how much accuracy is lost by the terminal method. The bar display fluctuates a hundred rpms or so, a slight loss really won't make much difference. The accuracy is dependent on the display capabilities' In the rough environment I always seek the most permanent and dependable connections. Has anyone ever tried it both ways? Could they see a difference?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Power User

I tried both ways, felt the wrap was more accurate, signal lag didn't really change in either location. With the wrap, you may have to experiment with how many wraps you use. FWIW, my tach lead from TT is definitely stranded, i may put a solid wire extension on it as even with a few zip ties and tape, every now and then i have to redo it.