BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 05-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Lurker

Question 300 cc VOG Little or no charging voltage

Purchased a beat Roketa G6/ BMS 300 Power Buggy, Had a bad voltage regulator, it was draining the battery, I replaced it which cured the battery drain problem, but I noticed that it did not seem to charge the battery, however I ran it that way quit a bit and never had a dead battery, so after getting it running right, I did manage to drain the battery, now I have turned my attention to the charging system. Battery voltage static is about 12.5 running 12.42, high rpm, roughly 3000 rpm 12.38 lights on 11.8. The system should be holding 14 vdc I did a stater check, before I go any further this is a three phase stater. If I remember right it measured 1.2 ohms phase to phase and infinite to ground, with the engine idling I got about 16 vac phase to phase, at around 3000 rpm I think I had around 24 vac phase to phase. Being that all voltages and resistances are balanced makes me think the stater in in good working order. Here is the odd part with the engine running I can unplug and plug in the rectifier/reg and hear the engine load when plugged in and unload when unplugged, but no change in battery voltage, I checked the voltage @ the rectifier plug and its the same as the battery, 12.4 dcv the stater voltage drops down to 6.4 vac when plugged in, must be a bad rectifier/regulator, So I purchased yet another one, completely different unit. You guessed it, SAME PROBLEM or did I get another bad unit?