BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM

Default yerf reverse install problems

ok guys I installed the bd reverse kit and im having lots of problems so far.
I got everything together and took it for a ride in the trails and getting into reverse is a pain I have to keep pressure on the lever to get it to go into reverse and blip the throttle and hold it there while doing it. Now after about an hr of riding both the little screws that sit on top of the case r missing have no idea what they do only thing I can think of is keep the rubber gasket in place. Also now the bolt that is only supposed to be "hand tight" is gone also from riding. I put tons of lock tite on that dam nut and even when I tried the just blip it with the impact gun it would be to tight. Ive tried 2 different hardware stores including Fastenal and couldn't get that same bolt for the shaft to hold the case in place. Il have pics posted soon just need some friendly buggy masters to help me out. for got to mention that nut that goes onto the shaft I used a 20mm socket to tighten it on and the nut would barely thread on because there wasn't enough threads on the shaft.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM

Doesn't the BD reverse lever have a "lock" for the lever to rest in? On mine (not the BD) you have to push the lever to the side for it to release.

On my spiderbox I found that I needed the longest output shaft available in order for me to get enough threads since I had to space mine so much to clear the engine.

You can see pics of the shimming I had to do in post #103

http://buggymasters.com/forum/showth...?t=2601&page=2
Old 04-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Heavy Contributor

@xlint89, did you get rid of the shimming when you switched to an adjustable Axle sprocket setup?

@jmansracerocket *
If I'm not mistaken the nut that goes on the shaft is the same one that goes on the stock rear axle. My local hardware store carried them (Handyman hardware, True value) so I had a few spares.

You should not have to keep pressure on the lever, It should lock into reverse. Meaning the Lever should lock back. The lever should have a spring inside that keeps tension on the cable, but not too much so that it breaks.

If you have pics of your setup can you post them please?
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 AM

this case has nothing to keep it closed the only thing that would keep it some what together is the nut that goes on the shaft, il try to get more pics today
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 AM

and since the case was ready to pop open I opened it all the way and greased everything really good myself
Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 PM

I was able to get a bolt for the shaft put everything back together now I can't even get it to engage in reverse
Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM

Ok reinstalled everything grease and oil again and I took the one bronze washer out that sits before the reverse case and just used what they included for spacing and gave me a lot more threads on the shaft. With that everything works now but the I still have to keep pressure on the reverse handle while going in reverse otherwise it won't engage or the handle gives way and throws itself back into forward so I had a few grind scares when that happened. The little lip inside the shifter handle wasn't made wide enough as that causes it to throw it self forward and having to pull on the handle and blip the gas to get it into reverse beats me but its installed for now
Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

What kind of Reverse handle do you have? This is the one I have in the pic. When pulled all the way back into the reverse position it locks into place. To come out of reverse you have to push it to the side a little and then the lever will go forward.

Your reverse gearbox is different from mine but the external ones pretty much work the same.

Another thing that I had to do was space my sprocket on the stock axle. I put a few washers between the sprocket and the hub so I would have more spline to hold my gearbox on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg go kart reverse lever.jpg (68.8 KB, 7 views)
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:18 PM

Jman, can you cut that spacer between the drive sprocket and engine down any? (or use washers as shims) You may need to space the sprocket and the hub though if you do.

T3, I did still shim my sprocket just so the chain doesn't rub on the engine. The axle allows me to place the sprocket where it needs to be, so there are no spacers between the hub and sprocket.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 AM

I don't have to space it anymore then want it already is it lines up straight I even took the one little spacer out
Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 AM

I think the handle I have is close to the one in the pic
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 AM

I wonder why BD would send you a double row sprocket? Is your kart a Yerf or something else?

Can you post a few more pics of the entire set up you got?

I was talking of cutting down the spacer to gain you some more threads on the output shaft. You would in turn need to space the axle sprocket the same amount you shift the drive sprocket.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
I wonder why BD would send you a double row sprocket? Is your kart a Yerf or something else?

Can you post a few more pics of the entire set up you got?

I was talking of cutting down the spacer to gain you some more threads on the output shaft. You would in turn need to space the axle sprocket the same amount you shift the drive sprocket.
Lol yes its a spiderbox they send it with the double gears so the sprocket does line up correctly. I took the little shim off the shaft the stock brass looking one they u can see in the
One picture and it gave me a bunch more threads
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 PM

So are you all good now? Is your shifter not staying in reverse still?
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 AM

Its works but yes shifter won't stay in reverse I have to keep pressure on it this weekend I will take pics of the entire setup I've tried so many different things