BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default New paint job

Thought this was interesting. I was playing around with what paint I had. Decided to put some paint on the CVT case. came out better than I thought. I put the blue down first. Found out that I need to let the blue get a decent set. If I came back with the red to soon, the blue and red would mix, and swirl together. Was cool looking, but not what I was looking for. Once I waited to point i could touch it, and nothing came off, seemed to blend very well. Around the corners, I gave it just a single light dusting. That gave it the affect you see on the top of the case where appears blue instead of purple. Think this would be a awesome color to paint the next buggy. And if I can get that changing of color from purple, to blue, say on the bottom of the bars, or back side think would be really cool affect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painted casse.jpg (94.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-28-2015, 06:39 AM
Power User

reminds of the flip flop that ford came out with for the svt cobras back in the 90s. secret of that paint was that it used some of the same pigments found in money--proprietary and very pricey.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
reminds of the flip flop that ford came out with for the svt cobras back in the 90s. secret of that paint was that it used some of the same pigments found in money--proprietary and very pricey.
There was a Flip-flop paint that came out in the early 70's. It had micro prism flakes that would take on different hues of red, purple and blue depending on the angle it was viewed. Not real apparent in bright sunlight but at night, cruising the boulevard, passing under the street lights it was stunning!
I remember, as a teenager observing a Willis rumble by while hanging on the strip in Daytona beach. That was my first time seeing a flip -flop paint job. It took our breath away! We went home and sprayed my buddie's 67 Chevelle in his daddy's garage. The job was inexperienced and crude but it was the envy of the local hotrod crowd.
Thanks for a stroll down memory lane
Old 03-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Heavy Contributor

I hate to be ''that guy'' but it reminds me of every ghetto box chevy with chameleon paint..lol
Old 03-29-2015, 09:16 AM

nice job tkeagle

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

Thx. I remeber a 69 Camero having a flip flop paint. Whanted the same for my GTO, but I couldn't do it. And was going to be a crazy price tag on the paint. But in the afternoon, as sun was going down. It would change from red, blue, and purple. There was also a 57 Chevey that was red, but had the biggest metal flakes I've ever seen in my life. Would almost blind you when you came up behind it with head lights. Always wondered how they got the paint to come out so good, with that big of metal flakes. Might be time to find out.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:20 AM

tkeagle do u get that metallic paint at advanced auto parts or Walmart ?

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Heavy Contributor

Auto zone.. orellys. Both have it. Don't think I've seen it at Walmart. Those places have the clear coat also.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Heavy Contributor

Or yes, Advance Auto. Never remeber since they have changed the name so many times. However with the metal paint, I cant stress enough to use a clear coat over the top. It looks flat, and the metal dont stand out very well. Night and day difference when using. Dupli-color Metal paint.. And Dupli-color Perfect match Clear Coat.
I got a few pics to show the difference. The one pic is after its final cure. About a hr after final coat. It's dule, and the colors wasn't coming out like it should. Then after 3 coats of clear coat. and about hr of cure. major difference.

And when using the clear coat, need to get full coats on each time. However, dont over due it, or will run. And suggest very good light. Sun light the best, if can keep dust down. To much, will start to run easy. Not enough, and the shine effect gets lost. However, I'm very impressed with the paint and clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg not clear.jpg (96.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg clear.jpg (96.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-31-2015, 03:28 PM

how much you paying for those dupli color cans ? I just bought a color I like for $6 bucks at home depot of the metallic paint but its rustoleum brand. I was looking at my shelf of spray paint and forgot about 2 years ago I painted a steel star for the wife in a metallic blue with the restoleum. The color came out good and I did clear coat it and I remember I did 2 coats of primer also.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Heavy Contributor

Paying around $11.0. For metal paint. And $7.0 for clear coat. Prise at the auto stores is matching what you can buy on amazon. Yes pricey. Haven't tried any other brand. But simply that's the only brand they have in stock with the color I was looking for. Sure there is cheaper out there. On side note. With dupli, covers very well without primer. But think does cover better with a previous or old coat prior.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeagle View Post
Paying around $11.0. For metal paint. And $7.0 for clear coat. Prise at the auto stores is matching what you can buy on amazon. Yes pricey. Haven't tried any other brand. But simply that's the only brand they have in stock with the color I was looking for. Sure there is cheaper out there. On side note. With dupli, covers very well without primer. But think does cover better with a previous or old coat prior.
don't worry rustolem is cheap crap paint to be honest.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Supporting Vendor

Looks great