BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Carter Talon Resurrection...

I kinda feel like Dr. Frankenstein. It's alive...

Test run around the neighborhood resulted in dying when I arrived at friends house. CDI unit was grounding out somehow. Left it hanging suspended by gator clips to make it home. Wrapped the CDI in an old inner tube and no more dying. The throttle adjustment was tricky but finally figured out how to adjust multiple items to get that right. Custom throttle pedal I fabricated bent under pressure but will make it out of thicker material next time. Reverse surprised me and needed absolutely no adjustment. GoPowersports has an awesome YouTube video for hooking that up. No problem with ethanol gas at this point but I do have a metallic style brass filter.

The embarrassment began after I had adjusted everything and tightened up some loose bolts. I traveled a few hundred feet on a test run and it died. I abused every good word available until I realized that it helps to turn the gas petcock ON... Needless to say I enjoyed a good laugh at my own expense.

I did take pictures of the work done. It's not painted but it is running. I developed a wiring schematic with help from members here, especially Tom from SYC. Once reviewed I will publish. I have not seen this wiring schematic before and I have seen dozens of GY6 wiring diagrams. Hopefully what I learned can help others.

Last edited by Numbers; 04-13-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Heavy Contributor

I don't see no pics
Old 03-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
I don't see no pics
I guess making the album public is a start. Oops. A few pictures are in there now. More to follow.

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/album.php?albumid=333
Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 PM
Lite Contributor

Untouched condition.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Lite Contributor

Wheels blasted and painted flat black.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Lite Contributor

Rear refurbishment. No blasting. Nothing special going on here. I did make a cover for the disc brake but still haven't installed it.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:01 AM
Heavy Contributor

I miss having a big blast cabinet to use. Used to work at a radiator shop and used that thing daily.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Lite Contributor

Just about retitled this thread, the Carter Death by Owner. Installed a new jet and left the low speed mixture screw alone. Got it started but wouldn't idle quite right. So... I adjusted the screw and lost count of my turns. In the end, the low speed mixture screw needed to be closed fully ( CW ) and then opened one full turn ( CCW ). Not sure if this is standard set up or not but it seems to work out for now.

Note: Pictures are forthcoming of the previous portion of the build.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Heavy Contributor

You want to turn the A/F screw out till it stops raising the idle, then set the idle with the idle set screw and adjust the A/F screw again. Repeat till the idle is where it belongs.

If you're out more than 2-1/2 turns with the A/F screw, then you need a larger idle jet, if you're out less than 1 turn then you need a smaller idle jet. Any where between 1 turn and 2-1/2 turns and your idle jet is good.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
You want to turn the A/F screw out till it stops raising the idle, then set the idle with the idle set screw and adjust the A/F screw again. Repeat till the idle is where it belongs.

If you're out more than 2-1/2 turns with the A/F screw, then you need a larger idle jet, if you're out less than 1 turn then you need a smaller idle jet. Any where between 1 turn and 2-1/2 turns and your idle jet is good.
With that being said, is there a standard starting point for adjustment to just get it to start ? Or is it trial and error between 1 - 2 1/2 turns until it starts ?

I'd eventually like to try a big bore but this jetting issue has caused me some concerns. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Heavy Contributor

I usually start at 1-1/2 and play with the throttle to keep it running if need be.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Lite Contributor

Family duties were calling and was unable to update properly.

Idle seemed to be a dual problem. Besides the adjustment of low speed mixture, the spark plug was regapped from standard .036 to .032. This was an iridium NGK plug. Once the change was made everything worked and sounded fine. No major fouling issues either.

Other issues... ...and this is going to sound bad...

I've checked and rechecked the tightness on all bolts but still have nuts and bolts falling off. The reverse gear bracket support, the muffler clamp, box cover, etc...

Over the last couple days I have not lost my nuts. I've tightened them up with a little blue loctite and so far so good.

The only nuts I didn't loctite were the muffler mounting nuts to the engine. I check these after every ride.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Heavy Contributor

el oh el
Old 04-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Lite Contributor

Broke the thread base of the spark plug off in the head. I've broken the ceramic portion, cross threaded them, etc... but I've never done this. I thought for a moment and put a screw driver in the hole and unscrewed the plug threads from the head.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

That was a ford problem for a few years.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Lite Contributor

Updated my album to include large amounts of photos. Any questions feel free to ask. Wiring was biggest headache. Remembering what goes where was eased by numerous pictures illustrated.

Still need to attach fenders but have to fabricate brackets for the fenders and frame attachments. I've made a couple different patterns and if one of them work, I'll post the pictures here.

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/album.php?albumid=333

Last edited by Numbers; 04-12-2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Missing URL