BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Lurker

Default JEHC "Hammerhead" 150cc Slips at top speeds

I am completely new to the buggy world and just now familarizing myself with the CVT transmissions (pretty neat and simple). I bought a 2005 JEHM? Hammerhead 150cc blue(looks identical to the 2005 TJ Hammerhead Standard 150). It fires up and runs good but at about 20 mph the engine revs high and I lose power (almost as though I pushed in a clutch to a car). I assume it could be 1 of 3 things; the belt, the rollers, or the clutch assembly. The belt width measured to 19mm (20mm is new I believe) and looks good. It has the factory rollers. The clutch surfaces look good. It pulls great low to mid but once you reach that certain speed just revs freely and slips as if my belt was slipping as if the rollers were "flat." Any have any ideas? I am extremely mechanically inclined just new to these cvt buggies. PS Anyone know where I could find some parts to replace my exterior reverse gears? The shift fork broke and one of the plates that hold one of the planetary gears is moves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by shiftrm131; 07-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Lurker

Update
Since I already had the external reverse assembly off i went ahead and threw the cvt back together to run it and see how it reacts. From about 1/2 throttle to full I did not see the belt climb up the variator. Although there is no load, I would think I would still consistantly see the belt climb up the variator when the rpms increased. My concusion is that my belt is worn or an issue with my variator (can flat or worn rollers caseu this?). Like i mentioned before the belt looks good and measures 19mm wide (i assume spec is 20).

What do you guys think?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Lurker

Measured the rollers. 17.78mm and 14.14mm when converting from inches to mm using my micrometer and 25.4. The rollers have about a .003-.005 difference between each other. Aren't these supposed to be 18mm? I am guessing for 10 bucks might as well throw some rollers in it and see what happens.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome- do the ramps on the variator look clean-is there shiney or obvious wear from the rollers traveling all the way up? A flat spot could cause this but you'd see it on the rollers. Also how much more could the belt climb up the pulley/sheaves? the belt should get right to the top.I like using matching weight rollers but it will work with 2 different sizes. Another thing- is the belt too long?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Lurker

Metal,
I replaced the rollers with 14g sliders (im running 18in tires) and installed a new belt. I compared the belts and sure enough the belt was worn. I was going to be a cheap azz and just try sliders but glad I got a belt as well. I got 25mph gps and rips out of the hole (got it on 2 wheels :-0).
Thanks,
Casey