BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Default won't start

So I'm working on the yerf and doing the couple little tricks ckau did. I changed the engine mount to 2 bolts instead of 1. I then went ahead pulled the starter and rotated it so the wire would be out of the way of the intake hook it all back up now it won't start! Started fine right before the change. Starter spins, but engine doesn't crank now I bridged the solenoid and it makes the starter spin also but no cranking of the engine.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

So the starter spins but it doesn't spin the engine? If thats the case it sounds like the starter gear isn't engaging the starter clutch. Maybe try putting the starter back the way it was.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:08 PM

put the starter back in the correct way and starts right up im waiting for ckau to chime in he was the one who said he did it I tried it with 2 different starters and both wouldn't work

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Heavy Contributor

If the gear is offset as it sounds like it is, you will probably have to take the starter apart and rotate the body of the starter while leaving the nose in the same position so it will contact the starter clutch.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM

that's what I thought I did but it didn't work

Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Heavy Contributor

OK! I got a little laugh at this one . not at you but rather at myself. I always rotated the starter housing to get the wire connections out from under the carb for clearance and more accessibility. Did this many a time.
The last motor I did acted exactly as you described. Well crap! I'm thinking my starter clutch has died! Installed a fresh clutch, buttoned up the motor...Same symptom!!! WTF!!!! Split the case again and this time observe the starter spinning the clutch. The starter motor is spinning backwards!!! The clutch has to spin in one direction only to engage the crank. It's spinning opposite. I'm scratching my head What the F### is going on here?? I move the starter connections back to their original position, the starter turns in the correct direction and the motor fires right off! I don't know why or how come and don't understand why simply rotating the starter housing would cause this..
I haven't had time to figure what I did wrong. I'm wondering what could be different about this starter than earlier version I have used in the past. I just don't know, Whatever it is, the trick didn't work this time.
It appears you have experienced the same phenomenon.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:21 PM

lmao! I knew nothing else could have been bad because I just fired up right before working on it, would be nice to rotate it though to get some more carb room, I hope I didn't screw up the starter clutch be keep trying to start it that way. Either way I did the engine mount mod like u stated and just had to leave the starter in stock setup form.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:25 AM
Power User

Funny, i just wired up my old 150 and hooked up the battery backwards during a quick harness test. exact same problem ... it's infectious. starter motor must have polarity assigned magnets/coils in it --- rotate the housing and you reverse the polarity and direction of rotation.
Going to have to do this mod while i'm at this stage as i hate having to pull the carb to get at the terminal screw.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:20 AM

just would have been nice the get the wire out of the way from the carb and intake espically if I do want to upgrade the carb I cant see how the 30mm pumper would fit with the terminal wiring in the way

Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Heavy Contributor

The starter that gave this problem is the first new starter I have bought in about 3 years. With all the starters previous to this one, rotating the case had no effect on function. Wonder what's changed and why?
I remember the first time I took a look at the terminal location problem, my first thought was to cut the mounting plate off the case reposition and weld back on. I thought I would try the case spin first , it worked so I never gave the mount plate thing another thought Might have to go back to that mounting plate idea again if this can't be solved. I hate it, case rotation is a couple of minutes, relocating the plate ..a couple of hours. I got to find someone who knows electric motors to help me with this one.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM

hey ckau I actually did cut the plate off the spare starter and it took all of 5 minutes I used a dremel with a small cut off wheel and worked perfect but then once I cut it off I forgot with direction on the starter was correct and wrong lol so I just stuck the other one back in in the original position as taking starters on and off a half dozen times in one day was enough for me