BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Lite Contributor

Default GY6 Coil, Size and Where 2 Buy ?

My coil is good. My solenoid is shot. While looking for a solenoid I thought I'd go ahead and pick up a spare coil and CDI unit AC.

How do you measure a coils length ? Depending on how it's done, mine is about 24 or 26 inches long. I had a spare performance coil but it's maybe 16 to 18 inches long. The small coil would require new mounting location and extended wiring. It would also take the coil out of it's somewhat environmental shielded box.

Any ideas where to pick up a long stock or performance coil ? Do they sell kits to make your own custom length wires ? Thanks.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Heavy Contributor

Don't see why you wouldn't be able to buy an automotive spark plug wire and cut it down to size.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Lite Contributor

Is there a stock long length option ? If not how easy will it be to disassemble an old coil head and plug, then replace it with a spark plug wire of an appropriate length ? I am trying to avoid ruining a good coil and wasting money. Either way it goes I guess I'll post the pictures here when it happens.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Lite Contributor

Well I got bored today and here are the results...

Initial Starting point was a "HP Coil and Wire"...

Yes, I pulled this apart. I think it would have been easier to just "unscrew" the wire.

Kinda difficult to describe what attaches to the wire but it feels like a pin screw when putting the wire in.

Mine had some sort of heat shrink that I had to cut off before unplugging this portion.

A little clearer picture of the "pin screw" inside the coil end of the plug.

Yes, I have an issue with using calipers and or micrometers for everything. It's 7mm wire.

Screwed plug onto wire, checked for continuity, placed heat shrink on.

This is 7mm Beltran wire from the local NAPA. Once the coil end goes on check again from one end to the other. Green or Black lead to plug end is around 1.75. All buttoned up.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Lite Contributor

Oh... The wire is only 60 some odd cents per foot. In other words, this is cheap to do.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:04 AM
Contributor

In reality, you can use just about any coil that you want to use as long as the primary and secondary resistance values are in range and you can figure out a way to mount it. All a coil is, is a transformer, and it steps up the AC voltage from the ignition (AC or DC CDI) to a multiple 1000s of volts. If you have the screw in coil and cap, wire switching is a snap. You can use any wire that you desire (even VW). However, what I try and stay away from is a resistor sparkplug cap. I NEVER EVER use them. They have a small carbon plug (that you can't see) in between the wire connection and the sparkplug connection point. They are designed to reduce radio interference. Do we care on our buggies - Not. I have measured some caps that had 5KΩ of resistance, and if this piece of carbon burns or makes poor contact - no or bad spark.

However, good job on replacing your wire. Sometime we need to a little R&D to get the most from our buggies.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:42 AM

Numbers good job on that.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks guys.

Toomanytoys2, yes R&D is certainly a requirement with these things unless someone wants to pay more and or wait forever. Do you have any experience with swapping in more sturdy solenoids than the ones found on GY6 ?
Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 AM
Heavy Contributor

Like the spark plug wire, there should be no reason you can't use an automotive starter solenoid. As long as you get the same style it should work, it's just a switch activated by 12v.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
Like the spark plug wire, there should be no reason you can't use an automotive starter solenoid. As long as you get the same style it should work, it's just a switch activated by 12v.
Yes. However, is there one solenoid better than another for the action a buggy goes through ?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Heavy Contributor

I would ''guess'' any automotive starter solenoid would be rated at a much higher amp load than any 150 buggy solenoid.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:28 AM
Contributor

Numbers,

I have never tried one on a GY6 buggy, but I do use one on my Baja bug (which has been through hell). But the standard ford truck solenoid like this will power just about any motor and they are a dime a dozen.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/produ...trucks-new-tbp

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys2 View Post
Numbers,

I have never tried one on a GY6 buggy, but I do use one on my Baja bug (which has been through hell). But the standard ford truck solenoid like this will power just about any motor and they are a dime a dozen.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/produ...trucks-new-tbp
I remember Tom's Broncos from back in the day when I had a 76 Bronco. I went with the Part Number: ST81SB from NAPA. It sure does kick with some authority when I push the starter button. Not sure if it draws more current or not but one of my ground wires fried. I replaced the ground wires with about two sizes up in gauge. Also reworked a factory grounding connection. Rechecked for continuity. Checked for excessive heat after a cranking. No heat and perfect continuity. Will post pictures soon.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Contributor

I agree with you on the grounding. I have owned Chinese quads, pit bikes and now a buggy. I have reworked the grounding system on all three. They us micro gauge wire, and the way that they feed many grounds to one wire is ridiculous.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Still not heating up and continuity still good. My ground was basically daisy chained from front section to rear section to the engine with what amounts to battery cables tucked alongside the square frame tubing.

Now we need a poster with the name Notenuftoys......or Thewifetoldmetostopcollectingjunk02...

Lol.

Last edited by Numbers; 04-18-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Still not heating up and continuity still good. My ground was basically daisy chained from front section to rear section to the engine with what amounts to battery cables tucked alongside the square frame tubing.

Now we need a poster with the name Notenuftoys......or Thewifetoldmetostopcollectingjunk02...

Lol.

sry, i've already laid claim to the last one ...