BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Lurker

Default American sportworks 150cc issue

Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I have a American Sportworks BD-200 UTV 150cc that I'm having some issues with. It was running great then a couple weeks ago I went to crank it and it was really hard to start. Once it finally started it smoked really bad, but seemed to run fine. I thought maybe I had over filled with oil, so I drained and refilled with 30oz as required. Over the last few weeks in continues to smoke (oil) and it has been consuming some oil as well. It also continues to be really hard to start. Once it's starts it will not idle until its warmed up and then it idles and cranks and runs fine, other then smoking. Now it's reached the point were I haven't been able to start it the last few days. I'm thinking from what I've been reading its either the valves out of adjustment or the rings are bad. I havent tested the compression other then with my finger over the plug hole, and it seems to have plenty of compression. Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm pretty mechanically inclined when it comes to autos, but I haven't had much experience with small engines.
Thx,
D.L.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Default ur on it

Sounds like ur headed in the right direction. over time the valves will tighten up id check there first n then see if u are still smokin, then id consider the rings. oh yea n welcome to the forum im sure ul get all the help u need here!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Contributor

Default Land Master and GY6

Welcome D.L. I think you have the same UTV I've got, the Land Master 200. Mine is almost 2 years old, running fine so far. I almost did not get it because of the engine, the golf Cart Dealer did not know much about it. I've since found out it is the GY6, same as in the 3206 Yerf's talked about so much here. I'm a novice, but have learned a lot from the great help on this forum, and I'd agree valves are the hard starting. I'm in the process of trying to get my 3206 valves just right for that reason. The smoking does sound like rings, I've been lucky and have not faced that problem yet. Search on the GY6, you'll find lots of help and videos on utube.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoys View Post
Welcome D.L. I think you have the same UTV I've got, the Land Master 200. Mine is almost 2 years old, running fine so far. I almost did not get it because of the engine, the golf Cart Dealer did not know much about it. I've since found out it is the GY6, same as in the 3206 Yerf's talked about so much here. I'm a novice, but have learned a lot from the great help on this forum, and I'd agree valves are the hard starting. I'm in the process of trying to get my 3206 valves just right for that reason. The smoking does sound like rings, I've been lucky and have not faced that problem yet. Search on the GY6, you'll find lots of help and videos on utube.
Yep they are The same. I really like it, the Grandbabies love riding on it. It was running great. I was a little unsure about working on the GY6 at first, but after reading here I'm feeling a little more comfortable about working on it. I can't find my set of feeler gauges to set the valves so I'm going to pick up a set Friday. I think that will fix my cranking issue. If it continues to smoke and use oil after i adjust the valves I'll attempt a top end cylinder kit repair. Maybe a oversize kit???. Growing up my dad was a mechanic and we had to work on our cars/trucks on the weekends, to keep them running thru the week
We couldn't afford to take them to the garage, so I'm a fairly decent shade tree mechanic, but I never did much work on the smaller engines.
Thx for the help,
D.L.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Contributor

that's my excuse too - grandkids !!! I sure don't enjoy riding around in circles on the spiderbox, spending hours in the garage working on the engine.... no, not at all ! I would never touch an engine until I tried to get my first GY6 running, now I'm hooked. btw - Tom (SYCARMS) here on forum can get you parts for the LandMaster, good prices ! I added the new front bumper with winch, looking at the hard top, windshield.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM

Not 2 mention Tom is full of knowledge on the GY6! bear
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Lurker

What size would you suggest for a Cylinder Kit as far as one where I wouldn't have to make any Engine opening mods? 59mm?

Last edited by D.L.; 10-11-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Call Tom!!! hes got u covered on info, plus you can just order what you need while you're on the phone with him and get a nice discount!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Lurker

Well after adjusting the valves it fired right up. I emailed Tom and hes gonna hook me up with a 155 cc cylinder kit. I feel a lot better about installing it myself after reading up on the forum. Thx guys for all the info.
D.L.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Contributor

I'd like to hear if the kit makes a difference. I feel like my UTV is straining to run some times when loaded.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoys View Post
I'd like to hear if the kit makes a difference. I feel like my UTV is straining to run some times when loaded.
I'll keep you updated. I'm gonna order the cylinder kit and install it.
D.L.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Contributor

i had a HH150 couple years ago. i burned through 3 motors days apart from each other. after the first one went. i went to the place i bought the cart and the had several bad motors on the shelve i bought all 11 of them for $10 a piece. i went through all of them and the majority. including mine also had the exhaust valve tighten up. on my new buggy i beat it to the punch and am faithful on loctite.