Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 57
Non-linear Progression - UTV150 Blade - BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum
BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 06-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Lurker

Default Non-linear Progression - UTV150 Blade

Here I'll share the oddities and build progression of a junkyard-rescued UTV-150 Blade.

Info:
Manuf. Name: Shandong Liangzi Power Co. Ltd.
Model: LZ150-1
Manuf. Date: 01/2013

on the day it rolled in:

It came to me as a non-runner after sitting in a field for 2 years. Previous owner had it loaded up on a trailer headed to the dump when he heard of my enthusiasm for tinkering. (It really came out of nowhere! I typically spend a few months planning, researching, shopping for a deal before beginning a new project on this scale) Two new rear tires were included. Low compression was the suspected cause of the no-start. I'll get to that later.

For now I'll be sharing the tear-down and troubleshooting as well as some ideas for the rebuild.

Last edited by hondamark35; 06-23-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Lurker

With the cargo bed off for a look at this engine a few oddities are revealed...

The 3ft piece of rebar there is serving as the shifter. originally a cable actuated setup, the cable rusted through so this was fabri-cobbled together from some scraps. though still functional, it's a bit clumsy and an eye-sore. it will return to the scrap metal pile.

Those familiar with the vast majority of these scooter-engined (GY6) buggies may notice the engine is kind of sideways. There are several benefits to this, and one major drawback- that being spare parts for the drive output. everything else about the engine/transmission is pretty typical non-EGR, short case 150cc GY6... stuff.

With the swing arm and rear axle out of the way you get a good idea of what's going on there. The two polished rods link the rebar shifter to the gear box. the gear box takes output from the CVT, provides forward-neutral-reverse selection then sends that to a right-angle gear on the output sprocket shaft. The gearbox takes 80W-90 gear oil (quoted from memory, I'll update later after I verify with the manual)

here's another angle with all of the rear bodywork off.

I don't hate the "naked" look. To be honest, I think the bodywork makes it look more cheap than it deserves. I'm still in the early stages of planning on this project but theres the potential here to use this as a half scale test bed for some of my more ambitious automotive bodywork...ideas...

Last edited by hondamark35; 06-23-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Contributor

Am I the only one not seeing the pics?
2015 Hammerhead GTS 250-SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD
Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Contributor

I don't see them either
Old 06-23-2018, 12:58 AM
Contributor

Sounds interesting but also not seeing anything
Old 06-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Lurker

I am able to see them and they showed up in "preview post," but I'll try hosting them somewhere else

Edit: photos re-hosted. everyone see them now?

Last edited by hondamark35; 06-23-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:12 PM
Heavy Contributor

I saw them when you first posted, but they're gone now.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Lurker

Default Dig Deeper

At this point, may as well pull the whole lump out to have a closer look on the work bench. A few small details before I get to that.

On the passenger side is the fuel tank. I'm not sure if it's typical, but this one has an electric fuel pump installed. the whole fuel supply system seems a little over complicated to me. It's going on the "can I do this any better for little to no expense?" list.

The inside of the tank is pretty rusty and all the lines are dry rotted (though they don't seem to be leaking yet) I'll just gravity feed some fresh gas in a plastic tank until I get the engine started. I'll worry about a suitable fix/replacement then.

Heres the original state of things on top of the engine. the air filter box was in position but not quite connected to the inlet hose connected to the carburetor. That pile of leaves continued all the way in

Theres some signs of the wiring being messed with. Not sure what's going on there yet.

And a look from the drivers side. Up top is a dog-bone brace to handle the reactive motion of the engine under load as it tries to roll front to back (this brace should be in tension under forward acceleration)

Then the other piece of the motor mount puzzle can be seen in part directly below the drive housing. An oval shaped "sub-frame" cradle with four canted, rubber mounts helps to isolate the vibration that is directly behind the seats in this arrangement.

Right, so here it is out of the frame and on the bench. I pulled it out with the sub-frame attached so that it sits relatively level and stable on the bench. It may be close to 90lbs. I guess it should get weighed while it's out...

I'll get it cleaned up and continue the explorative journey in the next post.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Contributor

Got the pics to work now.

Looks interesting with the 90 degree box on it, first time I've seen one like that. There is an old lady up the road that has one like that but the engine is turned like on our buggies. Somebody told her I know how to work on the gy6s so now she calls me for everything. With all the body work on them I know it's a pain compared to how open my kinroad is.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Heavy Contributor

It's a different arrangement I've never seen. Certainly based on the gy6 platform but not what we are used to seeing. very interesting. If possible share what you find on this particular configuration, make ,model number, manufacturer, etc. I'm very interested in that CVT cover. I'd like to get my hands on one. It appear to have more interior area for air flow with a larger air flow inlet on the front plus the addition of a large flow exit on the rear also. A more efficient cooling system, maybe ? There's a removeable inspection plate over the variator which may enable service without having to remove the entire cover. it would be a nice upgrade.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
... If possible share what you find on this particular configuration, make ,model number, manufacturer, etc.
All the info I had was shared at the beginning of the first post. I could find no markings whatsoever on the engine itself so I don't have an official number. I've serched the manufacturer name on AliExpress and there were engines on there that looked similar.

EDIT: I did find "DLLPX, 169AAA" next to "ENGINE FAMILY" on the emissions label, but I am not sure that has much meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
I'm very interested in that CVT cover. I'd like to get my hands on one. It appear to have more interior area for air flow with a larger air flow inlet on the front plus the addition of a large flow exit on the rear also. A more efficient cooling system, maybe ? There's a removeable inspection plate over the variator which may enable service without having to remove the entire cover. it would be a nice upgrade.
I'd be happy to confirm any measurements you want. The variator cover is pretty handy other than the fact that it's only accessable with the engine out because of the orientation.

Last edited by hondamark35; 06-25-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Lurker

Default News from "BigRockCandyMountain"

I tracked down the engine maker on AliExpress again.

see the engine here

they say its a 1P57QMJ

the fourth photo with the black background is what I have, but some of the others show a straight output shaft rather than a 90 degree.

it does have the same CVT cover with the access panel though.

Last edited by hondamark35; 06-27-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Lurker

Default The Surprises Don't stop

I would like to have more photos of the process at this point but engine teardown tends to get a little too exciting in the moment to worry about cameras.

In this case the teardown process was extra exciting! after removing the carb and manifold I began taking loose the cooling shroud. As I lifted it away a full colony of roaches (maybe palmetto bugs) literally spilled out. They had been nesting in the spaces between the cooling fins of the cylinder. After engaging in some chemical warfare and winning handily, I disposed of the fallen foe and continued my investigation.

a little carbon on the pistons, but nothing looked abused. the rings, piston skirts and cylinder wall all seemed normal. No smoking gun here.

I then moved to the flywheel wanting to have a look at the electrical system hidden inside. These tools work like magic, but don't forget to grease the threads.

Don't worry, i've already counted them. 18 pole... eight-teen!!! I've seen 6, 8, 11, 12. This seems unique, but I can't reason why it's this way.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Lurker

Default Clean...er

after passing the tear-down inspection with no signs of wear or damage to the inner workings, the engine got a light cleaning and even some paint on the valve cover. The green helps me remember which side is up.

The black plastic and rubber parts seem to look best with a wipe down of silicone spray. And, I could be wrong, but I think it helps to preserve them to some degree the way that Armorall does. Maybe I need to science that one someday...

Back to the point. I got the wiring harness pulled out of the chassis so I could attempt to start this thing on the "stand". It was much easier with the floor out too. I borrowed the battery from my daughters powerwheels Jeep because the one that came in the buggy was toast. Double checked my assembly completeness, added some oil and spun it over. crank, crank, crank... no start. Not terribly surprised by that. Mostly just wanted to see if I'd get lucky with the "Irish green" valve cover. I think I'll order some tune-up parts, have a look in the carb for any trash and try again next time.

In the meantime, let's take this to the next level and make it a full frame up build.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:27 PM
Lurker

I’m very interested in your progress. I was given a non-running LZ150-1 that looks just like yours. I’m trying to locate an exhaust pipe right now...since they didn’t include one.
Without the exhaust I haven’t tried to start it yet, but I have repaired the electrical problems and replaced broken cables. I’m working in the rear brake caliper now while search for an exhaust pipe. I’m really glad to be able to follow your progress. They told me the engine runs, but smokes a little, We’ll see! I’m glad you are posting your engine repair!,,