BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Lurker

Lightbulb 150cc Twister hammerhead Need reverse assembly ! pls help

Hey guys,

So first time karting picked up a fixer upper
150cc Twister hammerhead used
Motor Runs: ( we mananged to lock it in drive to get it to go)
i'm very frustrated the dummy i bought this from didn't know what he had
so i got this Kart for a steal only thing is his dumb arse took apart the Reverse assembly and lost the parts (guts)

I want to just replace it but it's expensive like 289 since i checked.
You guys mod and race these things i don't need reverse just forward if there is a way to just run a kart that way like at the go kart tracks that have them but if not i need this part ive looked everywhere, this motor is the common GY6 long case 150cc any suggestion or how bout this i will want a new motor if anyone can help i just want my 4 girls to be safe while riding.
call me 757-644-7396 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************757-644-7396******end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************757-644-7396******end_of_the_skype_highlighting jesse

This is a treat i'm trying to get this running i'm the step dad and i would be
the hero if i came through and got it running but i need help ive never messed with this stuff at all but i am very hands on and pic up things quick i also have the booklet for this kart with all the parts listed in the back.
I just want to give them something from what i'm good at doing and it is enjoying the outdoors by via quad, motorcycle or go kart!

Thanks guys and god bless !!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Contributor

welcome, the reverse gear box should only be around 170.00. there are two types, they mainly go by color, silver or black
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Isn't it a standard planetary set? Can he simply put new gears in it if that's all that is needed?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Contributor

yes the gears are available and changing them is not that hard, you just have to make sure to get the shift arm in correctly
Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Lurker

Default update

Tom is sending me the assembly and redneck
Uni setup while I clean the crap out of the carb tonight
Just gotta get it running to change other things
Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Lurker

Default New update

after great advise from tom everything is running well but now comes the power issues streets we get it takes a minute but it gets up to speed and is pretty quick, it will travel across light terrain but the minute we climb alittle
she bogs and cuts off? clutch definitely needs changing it almost power less at some times but you jack it up on a floor jack and boy does she rip.

Tom i just want to say you just made me a very happy step dad and 4 little girls very very happy! we thank you so much.

Now we get to the tuning and replacement my electrical is shotty in some areas but hell i get a bright blue spark i want to probably change the cdi and other items to give her a kick .

What should i start on first?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Lurker

Default Reverse gearbox planetaries

Silentburner, did you find new planetary gears for your reverse gearbox or did you buy a complete new unit? My gears are in good shape but the short little shafts that they roll on is boogered up on the end and they will not stay inserted into the plate that is moved by the fork via the reverse cable . So when I switch to reverse it will eventually engage, but then when I disengage reverse, the 3 planetaries come out of the plate forward does not come back unless I take it apart and put it back the way it goes. It is a black gearbox. Will the silver I have seen work? The site that has them listed for $170 is on backorder. Only other place I found it they wanted $259. What is supposed to hold the short little shafts in that plate? Were there c clips or snap rings originally and they are just gone?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Administrator

clutch mods are usually a good start and fairly inexpensive.

Toby, can you post a pic of your reverse assembly (what you have anyways). I may have access to some reverse assemblies but need to make sure I get the right one.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Lurker

Thanks Buggy. I will snap some pics tonight after work and get them up.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Lurker

got a little side tracked but here are the pics

Old 06-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator

I'll let you know what I come up with. Man that chunk missing doesn't look good. What happened?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Lite Contributor

Must be a running theme here with the reverse gearbox problems. Last week I snapped my reverse cable at the point inside the bent tube going into the box. The cable was rusted and frayed at the point where it snapped. So I got a new cable and installed it no problem there, but now instead of the 2 gears forward and reverse, I have forward and neutral. No reverse! I was shifting into reverse when the cable broke, and I'm thinking when it snapped back into forward something may have gone awry inside the box like a bent fork on the yoke. For now now I'm making due with the lack of reverse, but it sure does come in handy with the reverse lower gear ratio when stuck in mud or snow. Any ideas or what I should look for when I decide to crack it open? It's the black reverse gearbox type.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 AM
Contributor

thats a kinroad, the gears and the box are dirrerent from a hammerhead or carter
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
I'll let you know what I come up with. Man that chunk missing doesn't look good. What happened?
Are you talking about the chunk from the end of one of the planetary shafts? The gears themselves are all fine (no missing teeth) but what is supposed to hold the planetary gears in the yoke thing. Were there c clips or something originally? One day it just did not go when my son shifted into reverse. I took it apart and this is what I found. All of the places I have found that carry the gearbox are on indefinite backorder. wtf
Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Administrator

I may be striking out too. Here is a pic of the gear box that I think I can get my hands on (this is a broke one). look at how the cable connects to the casing. I'll know for sure in a few more days what I can get to tell you for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reverse.jpg (56.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Lurker

well that looks pretty much like what I am looking for. let me know what you find out. Looks like the cable connects the same as the one I have. I guess the question will be is it made for the same diameter and spline of that on my cart.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Lite Contributor

Default me too!

Add me to the list.
Opened up my new twister and compared to my baja. Slightly different, but I see what I'm missing.
A bearing, a spacer plate and the drive dogs that lock the planetary from spinning when in reverse.. Should I even try hammerhead?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Contributor

the kinroad takes a planetary gear that has different teeth than the hammer head
Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Supporting Vendor

I have a new kinroad reverse box $180.00. Give me a call if you need it . TOM 662-301-1563
Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Lurker

Default Baja Motorsport DN 150, Reverse Assembly or Planitary gear

I have a Baja Motorsport DN 150. Planetary gear has some chipped teath. I either need a new planitary gear or the whole Reverse Assembly (DN150-184 842645094101 REVERSE ASSEMBLY). Haven't been able to find anybody that has either in stock, let alone a confirmation on either part number (other than from Baja Motorsports parts list). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Supporting Vendor

So have you found a reverse box or parts yet? Give me a call if you haven't

Tom