BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Lite Contributor

Exclamation 150cc gy6 oil leaking?

I think I may be leaking oil and I have no clue where to start. I recently upgraded my buggy (jcl mg150a style) with a new carb jetting, new iridium spark plug, new uni intake filter, and new performance cdi and coil. I also recently changed the oil. After upgrading I finally got it running (had to slightly adjust the idle screw to even get it to start) however, I did get it to run so I took it for a good ride, WOT for about 10-20 mins, was gonna check the spark plug for proper mixture. So I take it out let it get nice and warmed up, came back went in for a bit to let engine cool some and went back out to check spark plug, the engine was still a little hot to I was just generally looking over the motor went I noticed the chain was wet and black, twas oil, but i was kinda sporadically spattered about because it was flung from the chain so I couldn't directly see where the oil was coming from, I noticed there was quite a bit around the oil drain plug which would in fact leak onto chain, but there was some on top of the motor too, kindly around where the shifting cable attaches ( sorry I dont know the proper term) but it could've just ended up there from chain slinging it around. Any suggestions? I just dont have a clue about the oil workings of the engine so i'm lost on what it could be and where to start. Thanks again guys!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 AM

check your oil level make sure its not over filled.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 AM
Lite Contributor

Unhappy

Well last I looked there was no oil on the stick. Last time I filled it I completely drained it and didn't even put a whole quart in it. And the ride I took that I mentioned originally was the first ride since new oil change. Also I noticed that when I fill the oil it fills pretty quickly for a minute then starts to go really slow, like... really slow. But when I check it it still only comes to the top of the crosses.

Last edited by BuggyLegend; 05-26-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Lite Contributor

Cool Update 5/26/14 4:18

I just went out and pulled the dipstick out and it was reading way over filled. Which is very strange because yesterday when I got back from a 30min ride it read completely empty. -_- anyhow, I drained all the oil and am letting it drip out now, gonna go back and refill, a little at a time this time and I will update when I'm done.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Heavy Contributor

it's things like this that make me wonder about the universe.... Ponder life's possibilities and bounties... AND THEN I RIDE YEEEEHAWWWW
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 05-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Lite Contributor

Ok so I went out and put oil back in, got it to about 1 pint in, (1/2 quart) and it started filling slowly so I was gonna start it for a bit and let it warm up then check but my battery is struggling, so I need to charge it but I don't have my battery charger at the moment, so I'll just have to wait. I have been having alot of issues getting my buggy to start lately, and this oil thing was my last hump to get over so I could stop worrying and start riding, but guess today's not the day, Hopefully I can get it charged and that will be that. Wish me luck.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 PM

the gy6 engines take more then a half of a quart, they should take just under or around a quart every engine is slightly different and meaning how much left is still inside and how much was drained but fill it with at least 3/4 of a quart check the stick see what it reads wait 5 min don't start it I bet $ on it it reads different. The oil takes time to travel so get it just about right then run it for a couple minutes then check again its a little tricky but u will get the hang of it.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the reply! Well after I got the battery charged I fiddled with the idle/throttle screw and got it to run, after I knew it would start I checked the stick again, it was clean, so I drove it around the yard about 3 times, no smoke and ran fine, then I cut it off and checked the stick again, I took it out, cleaned it off, stuck it back in, screwed it all the way back in and looked again and there was just barely a little drip on the tip. so I got the funnel and oil back out and slowly poured a small bit in, it didn't really drain in there so i pulled the funnel out and put the stick back in and of course the whole thing was wet. I just cant shake the feeling that something is stopping it from filling completely yet, when I check it it reads empty. Gonna check it and try adding more again tomorrow. So just a quick recap of the events so far. I COMPLETELY drained the oil, let it drip out for about an hour, went back replaced the oil drain screw, placed the funnel in the dipstick hole, started slowly pouring in oil, it drank up the first half of the court real nicely, at that point it really wasn't taking anymore in, if it was it was at an unnoticeable rate, so I tried to start it, battery was weak so I charged it for about an hour (meaning the oil had time to sit without it being started) went back out started it, drove it about 10 mins around the yard, checked oil, a little was on the end of the stick, I tried to add more oil and it still wasn't drinking it down correctly like it was during the first half of the quart. Ya see JMAN, I couldn't even get 3/4 in there to begin with, thank you for the advice though, I'll try to follow your guidelines tomorrow, Keep it coming though ill take all the advice I can get!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 PM

letting that oil sit over night is perfect because u drove it so now it circulated, when u check it tomorrow don't screw in the dip stick just stick it in and it should be half way up the marks or if u want to screw it in every time then yes u want it reading all the way even if its got a hash mark showing its fine.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the reply! I just got off work and went straight to my buggy. I pull the stick out clean it off and stick it back in, not screwed in, there was a tiny dot on the tip but thats it, so I tried to add a little more oil (remember I've only been able to put 1/2 of a quart in at this point) I stick the funnel in and drizzle a tiny bit in real slow like, almost as soon as the funnel started filling I stopped pouring it in to to make sure I didnt waste any. So I sat for about a minute, and it was draining very slowly, -_- so it eventually went down so I poured more in, quite a bit, so after about another 2-3 minutes it was draining slowly still and I noticed some of it was coming back out around the funnel :'( I couldn't tell if the amount coming out was relative to the amount (supposedly) draining. I got about 50ml in and decided to stop. I started the motor up, didnt drive it just ran it because it hadn't been started today, put the stick back in immediately after I turned it off and it said i was about 1/3-1/2 full. So obviously it need a little more but if it won't go in it won't go in right?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Lite Contributor

if funnel fits snug it will trap air and not allow oil to go in correctly --just a thought-- pull funnel back a little to allow air to come out and see what happens