BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Lite Contributor

Question Very Poor Compression... Potential Motor Replacement?

I tested the compression on my buggy and the needle would barely moved, approximately up to 30ish, I used this kit http://www.harborfreight.com/compres...-pc-69885.html Now I don't know exactly what that means, but I know its not good. First of all I should note that I lack most of the tools to properly remove an engine and do much work inside of it. I have done work to the air intake, carburetor, lights and cdi. But thats about the extent of my abilities. I'm afraid I personally will not be able to fix whatever the problem is, but I would like to hear from you all what it could be if you think I can fix it. I don't think there are any shops near me that will do extensive work to this motor but I will be looking.

Now assuming that all is a dead end, i'm not apposed to replacing the motor. Frankly since I bought the buggy I've always kinda wanted to but since it was working obviously I didn't need to. And every time I had a problem I've been able to fix it myself up to this point. But I've have concerns with this route also. Money is not the biggest one fortunately. I just want to be sure I get the exact right engine, and am capable of doing the install by myself, as I've never done one before I am curious if there are unforeseen complications that I as an amateur would not know. I will upload some pictures of my buggy ASAP. I don't know the make and model, I bought it used. What I can tell you is that its a 150cc gy6 clone. Its currently suspended from the frame via 2 top mounted bolts which I believe is pretty much the standard, I think I have a "short" case. and I once tried to remove the CVT cover to get the number off the band and I cant get it off because of the way the from is built (I know it sounds crazy) But just fyi.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 PM
Lite Contributor

Lots of knowledge floating around on here. Haven't had compression issues yet but I have been through the engine change issues somewhat recently.

If you do get a new engine, remove ALL traces of the substance called oil from the new engine. I found bits and pieces of metallic disaster waiting to happen.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:10 PM

When you did the compression test, was the throttle held wide open? (needs to be) Is the battery fully charged?

If the test still comes up low, check the valve adjustment. Go on youtube and look up GY6 valve adjustment. Just need a few tools to do it.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Supporting Vendor

As stated the throttle has to be in the full open position. If compression is low give the cylinder 2-3 squirts of engine oil, don't over do it just 2-3 squirts. Redo the test, if the compression rises you have worn rings if not the valves are leaking, so check your adjustment. Where are you located?