BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-18-2015, 07:24 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Kandi KD-150GKM-3 being delivered Friday

Crate is being dropped on Friday!

Whats the best place to start once I get it assembled? I am a mechanic so the assembly is in the bag. I read alot about the crap oil it is shipped with...recommendations?

I also ordered (Dr. Pulley 18x14 Sliding Roller Weights (11g))
and a Digital Tach for the dash board.
I am considering a 1500rpm yellow spring

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:44 PM

welcome maybe, your manual should tell you what kind of oil is recommended. just use a good name brand. get enough for at least 2 oil changes. run for a couple of hours and change it. just follow directions with your paperwork that comes with it. have fun
Old 08-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Lite Contributor

I will for sure do the break in oil change, I was just curious if there were lessons learned.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

Run the factory oil for 5-7 hours of alternate driving speeds but do not exceed 3/4 throttle for duration of break-in. After break-in change oil using a quality 10W40 or 15W40 V-twin/ motorcycle oil designed for an air cooled engine. The simple reason for this is conventional automotive oil is designed to operate at temps not to exceed 200 degres. Air cooled engines run in excess of 300 degrees. With automotive oil you will have thermal breakdown which will shorten engine life. Doesn't matter if petroleum based or synthetic is used however I am partial to full synthetic, what is important is that you use the correct oil designed for the higher operating temp of the air cooled engine.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Lite Contributor

Mobil 1 in turbocharged vehicles will have oil temps as high as 250*, but I do understand the air-cooled engine oil for higher temps.

I drove the engine for a few hours combined and have to admit, I did go WOT. I however did not hold the RPMs long for top speed, just short runs and no extended throttle runs. I dumped the oil and was surprised how it looked, dark with some swirls. I used the remaining Mobil1 that I had in the garage.

I will go out today and get some air-cooled synthetic and start running that from now on. I also want to change the gear oil out. We don't know what grade oils are shipped in these engines so I would prefer to get good refined lubricates in it.

On a side note when I checked the engine oil first it had a heavy detergent smell to it and seemed thin.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Contributor

I just changed mine for the first time too. I bought Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle. Do they make actual air cooled engine?

Last edited by scjeep4.7HO; 08-23-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Lite Contributor

well, I changed the oil again today with LUCAS synthetic air cooler motorcycle oil. I also changed out the gear oil with LUCUS synthetic gear oil . The crap that came out of the gear oil cavity was interesting...it smelled like gear oil, but had a strange colorful swirl to it and I am glad its out. Now for the craziness!